Sunday, July 5, 2015

DIY Roadtrip Memory Christmas Ornament

Once a week this month, I am celebrating Christmas in July by posting a Christmas project.

When my husband and I were married five and a half years ago, I bought a Christmas ornament to commemorate our honeymoon and unknowingly started a Christmas tradition. Whenever we take a family vacation, I try to find or make an ornament to remember it  by. I love putting our memories on the tree every Christmas-it makes our tree more special to me!

I can't always find an ornament I like enough to buy, so sometimes I make one. It's fun for me to create and, many times, is less expensive and more special to our family.

A couple of years ago we spent our summer in Colorado with the ministry for which we work. We decided to take a family vacation road trip on the way, so this is the ornament I made to remember it.


On the back, I put the names of the places where we stopped and visited.


It is super easy to make! All you need is:
  • one or two small USA wood cut outs (I used 4 inch ones and I got them off Etsy. The store I bought them through is no longer open, but there are plenty like it on Etsy)
  • USA map printable-I used this adorable one from Mr. Printables.
  • ribbon
  • year charm (Hobby Lobby carries recent years in their jewelry section).
  • Hot glue or strong craft glue
  • Mod Podge
  • Printer
First, you need to get the printable down to the size of your cut out. You can do this one of two ways. Method one: open the printable and under print option, choose "print multiples" or "multiple." As you can see in the picture below, it will significantly shrink the printable. To change the size, you can change the numbers under "Pages per Sheet."


This method is a little more difficult and takes experimenting with the sizes. But, the print may come out sharper. Method 2 is much simpler and you can use it if you can find a jpeg of the printable. All you do is save the jpeg by right clicking on the picture. Then you can import it into a word or publisher document and size it and print. Since most printables are made to be a larger size, the jpegs are often lower quality, but because this project is small, it works. 

After you get the map the right size, adhere it to the wood using Mod Podge. I used a permanent marker to draw the route we took on our trip and then sealed it with one layer of Mod Podge. I also Mod Podged the place names on the back of the second wood cut out.

When the Mod Podge is dry, hot glue the ribbon loop onto the back off the front cut out. Then, glue the two cut outs together to make the ornament thicker and to keep the loop in place. 

Finally, attach the year charm to the ribbon. 

And there you have a cute, easy memory of a road trip!


 
Linking To:

MONDAYS
TUESDAYS
Show and Tell with  
Flamingo Toes, Sugar Bee Crafts, A Pumpkin and a Princess, and Snap!  
Tutorial Tuesdays with Hope Studios

 WEDNESDAYS
Work It Wednesday with The Happy Housie // The Blissful Bee // The Turquoise Home // Place of My Taste
 
THURSDAYS
Inspiration Gallery with Design, Dining, Diapers // Crafterberry Bush // The Golden Sycamore  
Inspiration 2 with Live Laugh Rowe and My Fabuless Life

FRIDAYS
That DIY Party with DIY Show Off

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea! So much easier than scrapbooking a memory, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! I have a soft spot in my heart for all things maps and all things Christmas so I love this! Thanks for sharing the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails