Monday, July 13, 2015

DIY Christmas Art~Vintage Looking Fringe Tree Art

Once a week this month, I am celebrating Christmas in July by posting a Christmas project.



Last year I decided to change out my old DIY Christmas art with ones that were more my style. That's one thing I love about DIY decor-it tends to be less expensive, so it's less painful to change it!

My favorite piece is the vintage-look fringe Christmas tree.


I originally saw this idea in a Better Homes and Gardens Christmas special and fell in love. After some research, I found BHG actually got this project from Flea Market Trixie

I made mine a little smaller-8x10. Instead of using book pages, as Flea Market Trixie did, I decided to use vintage-looking Christmas music sheets. Hallelujah, I found free printable antique sheet music from Knick of Time!

I printed out the antique music and layered it on an 8x10 canvas and glued it down. Then, I "antiqued" it more by rubbing distress ink over it, concentrating on the edges.


I found some green fringe at Joann's. Cutting the fringe was the biggest challenge because the edges unravel easy! I cut them different sizes and glued them down, layering them lime a tree. 

I used jewelery pieces and vintage buttons from the Paper Studio Spare Parts line (found at Hobby Lobby) to decorate the tree, most of which I had on hand from previous projects. The trunk is a stick from my back yard. :-)


The small "Joy" art is pretty much a cheat because the whole Joy piece is a scrapbook embellishment by Jolee's Boutique. I liked it a lot and knew it would fit in one of my small frames perfectly, so I stuck it onto some vintage-looking newsprint scrapbook paper.


Last, I made a display from this awesome FREE "O Come Let us Adore Him" printable from A Well Feathered Nest. Oh how I love Blogland and all the free printables!


I painted a 4x6 scroll-cut MDF slab and distressed the edges with distress ink. I glued on the print before attaching the brads to make sure the print stayed straight.

And there is my DIY Christmas art. I think I will keep these ones for a while!


Merry Christmas in July!
Linking To

MONDAYS
TUESDAYS

 WEDNESDAYS
Work It Wednesday with  
The Happy Housie // The Blissful Bee // The Turquoise Home // Place of My Taste
 
THURSDAYS
Inspiration Gallery with Design, Dining, Diapers // Crafterberry Bush // The Golden Sycamore
Inspiration 2 with Live Laugh Rowe and My Fabuless Life

FRIDAYS
That DIY Party with DIY Show Off

2 comments:

  1. Great Christmas projects! The fringe is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat way to add a little Christmas throughout the house. Love the little tree. Kinda has a 70"s vibe to it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails