Saturday, May 30, 2015

The Gospel is Not Just for Others

"Rejoice not over me, O my enemy; when I fall, I shall rise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD will be a light to me. I will bear the indignation of the LORD because I have sinned against Him, until He pleads my cause and executes judgement for me. He will bring me out to the light; I shall look upon His vindication."
Micah 7:8-9 

  
Preaching the Gospel to Ourselves

This passage in Micah is a wonderful example of speaking truth to oneself in the darkness of guilt. This is what John Piper calls, "gutsy guilt:" Taking sin seriously, knowing we are guilty before the Lord but knowing He will redeem us. We can all relate to Micah's description of bearing the indignation of the Lord- bearing through the darkness of knowing we disappointed God...again.

But, the good news is He already has redeemed us in Christ! Micah looked forward to the Messiah-to the day when God would plead his cause. But, we already have Him! The cross is our vindication-Jesus already plead and is pleading on our behalf if we believe in Him. He's already shed His blood; He already took our judgement on Himself at a costly price.

The truth that we are redeemed by Christ's blood, if we trust Him, gives us joy in darkness. we must take sin seriously, as Micah does, and realize it angers the Lord, but we need not dwell in guilt. God doesn't want that because dwelling in guilt is NOT the Gospel of redemption. We need to learn to preach the light of the Gospel to ourselves in the darkness of sin. We need to dwell on the Gospel. When we dwell in guilt, we're saying that Christ's death wasn't enough to save us from our sins.

Whether we've been walking with the Lord for one day or one decade, we need to preach the Gospel to ourselves to preserve our joy in Christ. As Piper says, "We never outgrow the Gospel."

Preaching the Gospel to the Enemy

This may seem like a weird concept, but that is exactly what Micah is doing in this passage. Micah shows us how to preach the Gospel to to our Accuser, Satan.

Satan cannot take away our salvation, so he will do all he can to try to steal away our joy in Christ and therefore, render us ineffective and make us miserable. His oldest trick is to come alongside our guilt and tell us we're hopeless, to mock our fallen state and tell us we're worthless. He is a liar.

Therefore, it is necessary for us to preach the Gospel to Satan. This is what Micah is doing: "Rejoice not over me, Satan. When I fall, Jesus lifts me up. He is my righteousness and light and though I must shortly bear the darkness of knowing I disappointed the Lord, Jesus is pleading my cause and has taken the judgement against me. He is my righteousness and redemption, therefore NOTHING I do will make God love me any more or any less. You cannot rejoice, Satan; You are defeated and have no power over my joy in Christ."

"Because Christ is our righteousness, He is our grounds for unshakable joy."
-John Piper

Linking To

Mom 2 Mom with  
My Joy Filled Life, The Purposeful Mom, Proverbial Homemaker, Diamonds in the Rough
Titus 2 Tuesday with Cornerstone Confessions 
SDG Connections with Soli Deo Gloria Sisterhood 
Women with Intention Wednesdays with Women With Intention
Thought Provoking Thursday with 3D Lessons For Life
Faith Filled Friday with Missional Women
Spiritual Sundays

1 comment:

  1. I loved this post, April. I just attended our church's ladies retreat last weekend and it was so wonderful being around other Godly women and reveling in God's Word.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails