Sunday, March 8, 2015

Fighting For Joy

"Indifference to the pursuit of joy in God would be indifference to the glory of God, and that is sin."
-John Piper, "When I Don't Desire God"

Used under Creative Common License from Unsplash
I have periods when I don't pursue joy in God. I've always described these periods as "being in a rut." What a nice little name to mask the ugly truth that it is sin!

I've sinned all week, rarely pursuing joy in God. And yet, He continues to forgive me and pursue me anyway! The Lord is amazingly loving, merciful, gracious, patient, and faithful! How can I not love Him? How can I NOT pursue joy in Him?

No one desires God with the passion He demands. This truth is both devastating and relieving- devastating because I want to please Him and cannot and relieving because it reminds me that I can't do it alone. John Piper puts is best:



"...my indwelling sin stands in the way of my full satisfaction in God...It OPPOSES by making other things look more desirable than God. And it PERVERTS by making me think I am pursuing joy in God when, in fact, I am in love with His gifts."


Pursuing joy in God is REAL Christianity-not the manageable, duty-defined, rule-following, will-power Christianity we so often try to live.

If I don't and can't desire God, what then is my hope? My only hope is the Sovereign Grace of Christ. He will have to transform my heart and make it do what it naturally will not do-desire Him. He will have to change me from the inside-out.

That is bothy scary and exciting-scary because I can't manage the change or make it happen and exciting because my heart is in the Strong, Sovereign hands of the Almighty God of the Universe, Who can and will do exceedingly, abundantly beyond all I can ask or imagine!! (Eph. 3:20)


Will you pray with me?
Bring me to the place, Oh Lord, where I truly believe that in You I have a better possession and an abiding one (Hebrews 10:34) Help me to cherish You and not merely "choose" You. You are supremely glorious and supremely valuable. Therefore, You are worth the fight for joy!
Linking To:
Titus 2 Tuesday with Cornerstone Confessions 
SDG Connections with Soli Deo Gloria Sisterhood
Thought Provoking Thursday with 3D Lessons For Life
Faith Filled Friday with Missional Women
Spiritual Sundays

3 comments:

  1. April, thank you for this open, honest, transparent post. I so appreciate your heart for Jesus, He is such a loving Savior, always waiting for us in that green pasture of the 23rd Psalm, to just lie down and rest in Him...many blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth, for your encouraging words. I am praying that I will learn to rest in Him more.

      Delete
  2. God offers us so much - hope, peace, love. There are days I choose not to plug in because I think I can handle it on my own. I am so grateful I eventually learn the error of my ways and that He receives me back every time with grace.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails