Friday, September 12, 2014

Pre-School Letter "m" Activities {Delightfully Homeschooling}


Here are the letter "m" activities I did with Cupcake (2 1/2). These were done over two days.

Phonics
Sandpaper Letter
We traced and practiced the "m" sound and reviewed her previous letters. This is one of her favorite activities to do now!

Letter "m" Play Area
(moose, monkeys, milk, muffin pan, Mary (Jesus' mom), mom, mushrooms, Molly from Bubble Guppies, Magna Doodle, Memory, mouse)
 We had a lot of toys for letter "m!" I mean to leave these out all week, but Cupcake often puts them all back in their proper place instead of playing with them. I guess I can't complain!

Alphabet Box
 
(mug, mirror, map, monkey, mail, motorcycle, magnet)
I help Cupcake name each object, emphasizing the sound. Then, I let her play inspect and play with them. This is another one of her favorite activities and she often requests her favorite small objects during the week.

Letter Collage Sheet
I guess I forgot to take a photo of her collage. Oh well!  Printable from Confessions of a Homeschooler.

Counting
Counting has been a struggle. Cupcake definitely likes everything else more. I try not to push her too much because she is so young (I don;t want her to hate school!) . She can count; she just doesn't want to. So, each activity ends up lasting a minute. I discovered this week that she just really loves the counting bears, so I am going to try to use those as much as possible. Also, counting mats are not working right now, so I am giving those a rest for a while. You will see them a couple more times, though because I am two weeks behind posting our activities.

Counting Bears
This week they visited Disney World! Sort of...

Counting Monkeys

 We played and counted her monkeys. (Fisher Price)

Sorting
Shapes
   Cupcake sorted foam shapes in a muffin pan. I found these foam shapes in the dollar spot at Target.

Colors
 Sorting M&Ms-Of course most of them were eaten!

Sizing
 I used these cute monkey sizing printables from Confessions of a Homeschooler.

Art & Music
For art, we did milk painting, which Cupcake  LOVED.


I got this idea from ECE Made Easy. It's a great way for toddlers to paint because it is thicker than water colors and doesn't drip. All you do is add food coloring to condensed milk!

For music, we did 5 Little Monkeys finger play and also sand and watched this video, "Where's the Monkey?" Cupcake loves this silly video.

Snack & Storytime
We ate muffins for snack and these are the books we read:


Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans 
This is the classic tale of a little girl in Paris who braves appendicitis. 

The Monster at the End of This Book by Jon Stone 
A favorite in our house!-In this book, Grover begs us not to turn anymore pages because he is afraid of the monster at the end of the book...and is surprised to discover who the monster actually is! 

My Garden by Kevin Henkes
A little girl dreams about what a wonder her garden would be, if she had one.

If You Give a Moose a Muffin by Laura Joffe Numeroff and Felicia Bond
Even though this starts with an "I," I chose it for "m" for obvious reasons. This is a sequel to If You Give a Mouse a Cookie and follows the same premise. If you give a moose a muffin, he will probably ask for some jam...

Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee Burton
Mike Mulligan and his beloved steam shovel, Mary Ann, are known for digging out canals and centers for skyscrapers. But when new technology makes Mary Ann obsolete, Mike has one last chance to prove that she is still useful and can dig "as much in a day as one hundred men can dig in a week." A sweet story of friendship, dedication, and ingenuity.

Bible Time
I am using the book Because God is Awesome by Brad and Kathy Bright which goes through attributes of God. Cupcake is a little young for the dg4kids activities, but I am going through each attribute with her, repeating the important concepts with her.

We went through the "God is Merciful" section. I decided to add a story from her Storybook Bible to engage her in the concept. We listened to and sang the "m" scripture song from Songs for Saplings: ABC : "A merry heart does good like a medicine." Proverbs 17:22

Delightfully Homeschooling,
 
 To see my other letter activities and Pre-School posts, you can visit my Homeschool Page.

Linking To
TUESDAYS
Tutorial Tuesdays with Hope Studios

FRIDAYS
 Preschool & Kindergarten Community with Homeschool Creations
For the Kids Fridays with Sun Scholars
Anything Goes Party with Bacon Time with Hungry Hungry Hypo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails