Friday, August 15, 2014

A Few of My Favorite Things {Friday Finds}

It's Friday! So, just for fun, here are a few of my favorite things right now:
(Note: I am not being paid or asked to promote anything. I'm just sharing what I love).

Emma Approved


If you have not discovered the joy of Bernie Su's Jane Austen adaptations into Youtube episodes, GO WATCH EMMA APPROVED NOW!!!! All 70 episodes. And then watch the Lizzie Bennett Diaries.

If this sounds like Jane Austen blasphemy to you, fear not. I am an Austen fan and this dude (yes, dude) really GETS Jane Austen-much more than even some more recent adaptations *cough* Keira Knightley as Lizzie Bennett *cough* I am seriously impressed by how he pulls this off.

I loved the Lizzie Bennett diaries, but I think I love Emma Approved slightly more. I've always loved this story and snarky Mr. Knightley and yes, even Emma, though Jane Austen said no one would love Emma but her. Well, I do, Jane!

Joanna Sotomura (Emma) and Brent Bailey (Knightley) are perfection in their roles (plus they started dating in real life, which is super adorable) and the supporting cast is fabulous.

Bastille "Bad Blood"


This album actually came out a year and a half ago and I've been listening to it for a while, but I can't get enough! If you listen to the radio, you are probably familiar with the song "Pompeii" from this album. 

Bastille describes themselves as a "pop band," but others can't quite put a finger on their unique sound. It's indie rock meets pop meets electronic meets Depeche Mode. My taste in music is pretty eclectic, but I'm usually more of a folksy rock girl. However, this album has me. It may be pop, but it's not bubblegum and the lyrics and melodies are moving. I also love the many layers of music and sound in each song-these guys are amazing musicians.

Lego Games


Yes, I realize these are popular mostly amongst children, but I love the Lego games. Jeff and I play them together on the Wii. So far we've played both Harry Potters (my favorites), both Indiana Jones, and Lord of the Rings. We are currently playing Star Wars, which has been my least favorite game play so far.

Yep, I'm a nerd. Little known fact about me: I've been somewhat of a gamer since uh...forever. My dad had an Intelevision and I played with him and my sister since birth. OK, since I could probably hold the control straight. And guess what-I turned out OK! Following the Intelevision was the Original NES, followed by adventure role-playing games on the computer. I don't like violent games, though.

Total nerd right here.

Humans of New York

 
Photographer Brandon Stanton captures images of random people in New York City and tells their stories in a few sentences. It is moving and beautiful. 

He is currently on a UN World Tour, taking photos of people around the world and telling their stories. He recently was in Iraq. I highly recommend you follow along on his Facebook page or blog.


Basic Grey Free Computer Desktop Calendars


I love changing my computer desktop monthly with these beautiful calendars from Basic Grey. It is aesthetically pleasing AND a quick date reference when I need it. You can download them here.

And those are a few of my favorite things!


5 comments:

  1. I had no idea that there was a Harry Potter video game. How cool!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so much fun! There's also a non-Lego Harry Potter game, but it didn't get good ratings, so I never played it.

      Delete
  2. I like this idea of sharing a few of your favorite things! I'm a big fan of the Humans of New York photos and story. Their instagram is great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check out their Instagram!

      Delete
  3. The Lego Batman games are some of my favorite games. Haven't played anything else in the Lego franchise, but I've heard good things for most of them. But yeah, I can lose myself in the Batman ones. Really looking forward to the 3rd one out this fall.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails