Monday, March 10, 2014

33 Years, 33 Things

Guess what guys! It's my birthday!!

My sweet mom was in a hospital in Nebraska, 33 years ago, pumped with Potocin and no epidural, painstakingly and selflessly getting me into the world. Thanks Mom!


So, just for fun, I thought I'd tell you 33 things you may not know about me. Seems kind of narcissistic, but, meh, it's my birthday! Read it if you want; don;t if you don't!

1. My Dad was in the Air Force, so I grew up all over the place, including my formative years in the UK.

2. Because of that, I subconsciously spell things the British way-like flavour and Saviour and favourite and grey. (ha, that rhymed)

3. I am super competitive with board games. For some reason, this shocks most people.

4. My favorite movies are The Princess Bride and Goonies. I'm real artsy when it comes to movies.

5. I had stitches twice before I turned 3-once when I fell on my grandparents' brick fireplace and another time in a sledding accident where I hit a cement wall and also broke my leg. I still have the scars on my forehead.

6. I once held a baby panda! My dream is to hold a baby tiger.

7. I LOVE musical theatre and my dream once was to be a Broadway actress. I spent my entire allowance for a year taking voice lessons because of this. 

8. My husband and I are the last two people in America without smart phones.

9. I studied German in High School. Ich verlernen most of it.

10. I also played the clarinet and was in marching band and made all-county and all-distric one year. (NERD ALERT).

11. I have a BA degree from Appalachian State University in Journalism, with a minor in History.

12. My favorite TV shows are Psych, Sherlock, and Arrested Development.

13. I actually don't watch much TV, but my husband picks on me for watching the commercials and not the actual shows.


15. When I was little I really wanted to be Jewish-so much that all I read was the Old Testament and I convinced my mom to buy me a dreidel. Clearly, I understoof Judaism real well.

It sneezed elephant snot all over me.

17. Nickel Creek was my favorite band in college (still love them). I met them five times.

18. I desperately struggle with being a people-pleaser and I hate it.

19. Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite books, and amusingly, my relationship with my husband started much the same as Lizzie and Darcy's. Cheesy, I know. :-) Now, I don't want to be with anyone else!

20. My most favorite book is Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. I find the human reasoning and psychological struggle fascinating and think it paints a beautiful picture of human sin and the gospel of Jesus Christ.

21. In elementary school, I wrote a book called "Pokey the Lost Tumbleweed" about a tumbleweed who is blown away from his family in the desert and finds his way home through the help of various desert animals. Pretty sure I was inspired by An American Tail.

22. My worse fear is that something will happen to my child. I cannot imagine enduring that kind of pain.

23. In 2008, I ran the Krispy Kreme Challenge at NC State where you run two miles, eat a dozen doughnuts, and run two more miles. I ate 7.5 doughnuts which I promptly threw up in the porta-potty after running...and then smelling the porta potty. I have not eaten a glazed Krispy Kreme since.

24. My favorite band is Jars of Clay. I have loved them since I was 14 and first became a Christian. They've always had honest and challenging lyrics and beautiful music. 

25. Confession: I am a missionary and I think most Christian music is cheesy-well, at least the stuff that gets played on Christian radio.

26. I have been on staff with Cru (Campus Crusade for Christ) for 10.5 years as a single woman, a married with no kids, and now a married mom. Most of that was as a single woman, so I am still adjusting.

27. I am addicted to Diet Coke. I don't care. It's my one vice. Leave me alone.

28. My least favorite movie ever is The Age of Innocence. My mom and sister dragged me to it when I was about 10 years old. I think I went to the bathroom eight times.

29. My first ever book crush was Gilbert Blythe. My first celebrity crush was Emilio Esteves-hahah. So 80s.

30. My sister and I were obsessed with the TV miniseries "The North and the South" in the 80s. We used to dress up in long skirts and pretend we were in it.

31. I used to write plays as a child and dress up my dog and make her act them out with me. My saintly parents always watched and applauded.

32. I love-no LOVE roller coasters.

33. I love New York City and really want to live there and yes, even raise children there. I think it's a wonderful place to raise children, contrary to popular belief!

An there you have it/ 33 Random things about me on my 33rd birthday. Have a lovely day!

4 comments:

  1. You're fun. :) Happy birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so much fun to read!

    I think we can make #33 happen....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha-yeah, if we can raise twice as much support!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails