Monday, February 17, 2014

DIY Glitter Wands (Cheap Kid fun!) {Delightfully Creative}

I'm a child of the 80s, so glitter wands were popular in our household. I think one of mine even had gold tassels on the ends. Awesome.

Cupcake likes all things shiny, so I thought she would love one and because I have the "I can make that!" disease, I decided to make her a couple. These are more like glitter batons, like the kind you pass off in track, but who cares when you have glittery goodness bedazzling your senses?!


These are very inexpensive to make-I found all the materials at The Dollar Tree, minus the tubes. But, I bought the tubes at A.C. Moore for $1.

All you need is a plastic container and a bunch of glittery things. I used glitter, confetti, rhinestones, small beads, and sequins. You can find most of these in the craft section of The Dollar Tree. The confetti was in the party section.

Then, simply fill the tube-about half-way-with glittery goodness and fill the rest with water. I recommend filling it half-way. As you can see, I filled the one on right about 3/4 of the way and it is a little crowded.


I super glued the caps into the tubes-not taking any chances! Though, my husband did inquire about the possibility of Cupcake breaking the tubes. They are pretty sturdy-sturdier than store bough glitter wands, but I decided not to use food coloring and make colored water just in case.

This would be a fun, easy craft for older children to do.

Cupcake loves them! I tried to get an action shot, but she was shaking them enthusiastically and it kept coming out blurry.



 Confession: I like to play with them too.

Delightfully Creating,

P.S. When I did an image search for glitter wands, I found this post from Pink Pistachio. She had the same idea, but used plastic bottles and other fun objects besides glitter. Check it out!

Linking To

MONDAYS
Craftomaniac Monday with Craftomaniac
TUESDAYS
Tutorial Tuesdays with Hope Studios  
The Inspiration Exchange with
 Clean and Scentsible // City Farmhouse // Ella Claire // Yellow Bliss Road 

 WEDNESDAYS
Look What I made with Creations by Kara  
Work It Wednesday with
The Happy Housie // The Blissful Bee // The Turquoise Home // Place of My Taste

THURSDAYS
Thursdays Are Your Days with 52 Mantels

FRIDAYS
For the Kids Fridays with Sun Scholars
The Party Bunch Link with 
The 36th Avenue // The Idea Room // 30 Handmade Days // Whipperberry
Anything Goes Party with Bacon Time with Hungry Hungry Hypo
Link Party Palooza with
 I Heart Nap Time // Lil’ Luna // Somewhat Simple // Tatertots & Jello //
Today’s Creative Blog
 
SATURDAYS/SUNDAYS
 Think Pink Sunday with Flamingo Toes
The Sunday Showcase with Stephanie Lynn
 Our Sunday Best with 

 Momnivore's Dilemma // A Pretty Life in the Suburbs // Twigg Studios //  Satori Design For Living

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I remember having these when I was a kid. I can't wait to make one for my daughter. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails