Monday, January 6, 2014

DIY Five-Year Journal and January Questions {Delightfully Creative}

I've never really made New Year's resolutions because I always thought the culture of NY resolution making was flippant. But, I do love the symbolism of a fresh year, fresh start, so this year I've made some goals.

One of those goals is that I want to journal more. I used to be a mad journaler, recording every thought, feeling, and idea I had. But, after having a child, I find myself journaling less. I thought one fun way to accomplish this goal is to create a Five-Year Journal.


A five-year journal is a place to keep records and thoughts over a period of 5 years. Some people simply record one sentance about what they did that day, but I want to answer questions that reflect my personality and what I am actually thinking and feeling at this point in my life. 

I've seen some cute 5-year journal ideas in boxes, but I wanted to use an actual journal, so I bought two journals for this purpose that I absolutely love.

These were designed by Katie Daisy and I bought them at Barnes and Noble. You can find them in-store or online (Left Journal, Right Journal).

I didn't really do anything fancy, but I wanted it be aesthetically pleasing. I just gathered some questions and came up with my own. I put the date and question on each page (Occasionally a 2-page spread) and made spaces for each year's answer. 

Sometimes I used scrapbook paper or Washi Tape to add color and pop.


On some pages, I used labels and stickers. On others I used journaling cards.


I decided it would be fun to once a month have a "currently" page of things I am currently liking and doing. I used free printable journaling cards from Rukristin Papercrafts and Creativity Prompt for these pages (one card per year).

I also included a "last" page with lists of the last song I listened to, for example. I used Heidi Swapp's free journaling cards for this.

I also included a list of 10 things page for each month and used journaling cards for those as well.

I came up with a lot of the questions myself and I also consulted and used some questions from this awesome blog about keeping a five year journal. She has a year's worth of questions (to be used for five years) and some journal box ideas.

I tried to create a list that did not have repeating questions or questions that were too similar (other than the monthly top 10/currently/last lists). Some questions are just fun and some are much deeper. I will be sharing my list of questions each month on the blog.

Would you like to join me in keeping a 5 year journal? It's only 5 days into 2014, so you can start now! You don't have to have all your pages/cards prepared-I don't have all of mine yet! Just grab a journal/notebook/index cards and get started! In the following months, I will be posting the questions before the month starts. Here is January's list (just right click and save):



Delightful Journaling!

Linking To

 MONDAYS
Craftomaniac Monday with Craftomaniac
TUESDAYS
Tutorial Tuesdays with Hope Studios  
The Inspiration Exchange with
Clean and Scentsible // City Farmhouse // Ella Claire // Yellow Bliss Road 

 WEDNESDAYS
Look What I made with Creations by Kara

FRIDAYS
Anything Goes Party with Bacon Time with Hungry Hungry Hypo
Link Party Palooza with
 I Heart Nap Time // Lil’ Luna // Somewhat Simple // Tatertots & Jello //
Today’s Creative Blog
 
SATURDAYS/SUNDAYS
Overflowing with Creativity with It's Overflowing 
 Think Pink Sunday with Flamingo Toes
 Our Sunday Best with Momnivore's Dilemma and  A Pretty Life in the Suburbs

5 comments:

  1. These journal questions are wonderful! Would you mind if I used the questions for students in my English classes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Use them!-I actually have the questions from every month linked here: http://cupofdelight.blogspot.com/p/other-delights_30.html

      Delete
  2. Can I use your questions on my 2017 journal that I am currently working on? They are wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails