Monday, October 21, 2013

Pumpkin and Leaf Bunting {Pin There, Done That}

I didn't mean to take a mini hiatus! We didn't have internet for several days and they couldn't come until Sunday to fix it... It's OK, we had more fun anyways, making blanket forts and such.

But, the internet is back and today I have for you a Pin There, Done That  craft.

 This is my new pumpkin and leaf bunting! I love it. It was inspired, of course, by the talented Rebecca at Simple As That. She makes the cutest book page buntings for every holiday!

I fell in love with her bunting last year and pinned it. I made mine about half the size of hers, to fit it on my chalkboard frame. I also added leaves in between the flags, as you can see.


Here's how you can make one too. I used my Silhouette Portrait, which made it faster, but you can make one without it if you find or make pumpkin and leaf patterns. Before I won my Silhouette, I would find clip art online to trace.

Materials:
  •  An old book that is partially damaged or just so bad, it's unreadable. Seriously, don't make quality books into crafts (I found mine in the free section at my local used bookstore. It's a crappy book about a woman who is in love with Napolean and talks like an American 21st Century 14-year old. Terrible. Hence the Free.)
  • Card stock for bunting
  • Scrapbook paper and card stock for pumpkin and leaves
  • Buttons
  • Jute
  • Craft Glue (I prefer Elmer's Craft Bond)
Instructions:
1. Cut out your shapes. For those with a Silhouette, all my shapes came from Lori Whitlock. I used her 6 Banner Set for the flags, 4 Leaves, and 3 Thanksgiving Icons for the pumpkin.

For the bunting flags, I cut them out on card stock and then traced them onto the book pages and cut those by hand. I learned the hard way that thin, old book pages and the Silhouette blade do not mix. I glued the book pages onto the card stock for stability. 

My flags measured 4"x2.25" and the pumpkins measured 2.5"x1.5".

2. Glue the flags to the jute, about an inch apart. Do this by folding the top down 1/4" and gluing it to the jute, like this:


3. Glue pumpkins to book page flags and buttons to pumpkins. Glue leaves to jute.

And that is all. Super simple!


I love how it turned out and how it looks on my chalkboard. I will show you the whole shelf soon!


Delightfully Pinning and Creating,


Linking To:

MONDAYS
Craftomaniac Monday with Craftomaniac
TUESDAYS
Tutorial Tuesdays with Hope Studios

 WEDNESDAYS
Look What I made with Creations by Kara

THURSDAYS
The 36th Avenue Party Time with The 36th Avenue   
Thursdays Are Your Days with 52 Mantels

FRIDAYS
Anything Goes Party with Bacon Time with Hungry Hungry Hypo
Link Party Palooza with
 I Heart Nap Time // Lil’ Luna // Somewhat Simple // Tatertots & Jello //
Today’s Creative Blog

SATURDAYS/SUNDAYS
Overflowing with Creativity with It's Overflowing 
 Think Pink Sunday with Flamingo Toes
That DIY Party with DIY Show Off
The Sunday Showcase with Stephanie Lynn
 Our Sunday Best with Momnivore's Dilemma and  A Pretty Life in the Suburbs

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to make a garland but couldn't decide from all the excellent ideas I've seen on blog land. Didn't want to make it just Halloween, wanted it to be used for longer period. Love yours and think I'll be working on this tomorrow (or today actually). I have a couple books I've gotten at thrift store to use for this purpose and have everything else I need. Love your header on your blog, the colors and leaves are so pretty. Happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful fall garland! You did such a super job! I too love to use old book and music pages in my crafts. Linda @ www.paperseedlings.com

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails