Sunday, August 4, 2013

Fabric Book Spine Tote (No Sew!) {Delightfully Creative}

Here is the last gift in the Nerd Girl/Book Lover Stash I made for my sister's birthday.


It is definitely one of my favorite components of the gift! I did the whole thing without sewing (except the button on the flower). If you want to make your own, here's how to do it.

Materials:
  • Canvas Bag (I got mine at Hobby Lobby
  • Fabric Scraps
  • Iron-On Transfer Sheets
  • Double bond fabric fuse (These are double sided bonding sheets-found in the sewing section of craft stores)
  • Ink-Jet Printer
  • Hot glue (for flower)
How To: 
For the Jane Austen quote, I just typed it out on my computer and printed it to the iron-on transfer paper and, of course, ironed it on. I was nervous about how this would turn out on canvas, but it looked nice. I made sure I pressed hard and did it twice just to make sure.

To make the book spines, cut strips of fabric to how tall you want the books-it doesn't matter if the ends are straight. The strips should be fat enough to fold the sides in to make the book spines the width you want. 

For each spine, fold one side of the fabric strip in and sew the crease down, like this:


This will make the spines straight. Fold the other side down and do the same. To adhere the spine to the bag, you will us the fabric fuse-I used one that do not require ironing, Peel one side of the fabric fuse off and place back of your spine on the sticky side. Cut to size. Peel other side off and adhere to bag. Press down firmly. These are permanent, so be careful!

For instructions on how to make the flower, you can see my tutorial here.

I might have to make myself one!


Delightfully Creating,
 Linking To:

 That's What Che Said
MONDAYS
Craftomaniac Monday with Craftomaniac
TUESDAYS
Tutorial Tuesdays with Hope Studios
Get Your Craft On with Today's Creative Blog  
The Scoop with  
Lolly Jane // Cedar Hill Ranch // Crafty Texas Girls // The Farmhouse Porch  
The Inspiration Exchange with
Clean and Scentsible // City Farmhouse // Ella Claire // Yellow Bliss Road 

WEDNESDAYS
Look What I made with Creations by Kara
Show and Share with Southern Lovely  
What We Wore, Read, and Made with Rae Gun Ramblings

THURSDAYS
The 36th Avenue Party Time with The 36th Avenue 

FRIDAYS
Anything Goes Party with Bacon Time with Hungry Hungry Hypo
Weekend Wrap Up with Tatertots and Jello
 
SATURDAYS/SUNDAYS
Overflowing with Creativity with It's Overflowing 
 Think Pink Sunday with Flamingo Toes  
That DIY Party with DIY Show Off
 Our Sunday Best with Momnivore's Dilemma and  A Pretty Life in the Suburbs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails