Friday, June 28, 2013

Still Tasty: Awesome Guide For The Shelf Life of Food {Friday Finds}

Have you ever wandered if those leftovers were OK to eat? Have you ever wondered if you could freeze something and eat it months later? 

If you're like me, you find yourself googling these questions only to find a myriad of opinions from non-experts on sites like Yahoo Questions, where anyone can post.

Well, no more Google searching! (Well, at least for shelf life questions!) A few years ago, I discovered Still Tasty, a website that lets you search for any food item and it quickly provides you the answer to how long it will stay fresh in the pantry, fridge, or freezer. 

I visit this site frequently-especially when freezing items like onions, vegetables, and fruit. In just a few seconds, it provides with the information I need to label my items so that I consume them before they expire.

All you do is enter your item into their search box. 


Then, Still Tasty will give you a list to choose from of what condition your item may be in. So, click on the one you want.


And...voila! Still Tasty gives you an easy-to-read chart of how long you can store your item. They even include tips on how you can best store your item.



I can't even begin to tell you what a life-saver this website has been in helping me not waste food! You'd be surprised by the things you can freeze.

Still Tasty also has a mobile app for $1.99. I've never used it (I just use the free website!), but I can tell you that you can program it to alert you when your food items are about to expire, so you can use them up. I may have to try it since I've been known to forget about a thing or two in the back of the freezer.

Delightfully Sharing,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails