Tuesday, June 18, 2013

DIY Pride and Prejudice Mug {Delightfully Creative}

A couple of weeks ago, I showcased the Nerd Girl Gift Stash I made for my sister for her birthday. I incorporated her favorite nerdy things, so I of course had to include Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, as we both love this book.

We also love tea and tea is so Jane Austen, so I made her this tea cup looking mug, stuffed with Twining tea, of course!


OK, I obviously didn't became a sculptor and make the mug on a wheel in my living room, but I did decorate the cup (which I bought at Target) using a Deco Art Glass Paint Marker, which is good on glass and glazed ceramics. If you;re not familiar with these, they are a great way to make a personalized mug-especially if you are artistic! All you do is draw and then bake the mug and it is washable-even in the dish washer.

I've seen this idea on Pinterest and decided to try it. I am not artist and my handwriting stinks, so I wasn't so sure about this gift, but after cleaning and re-writing several times, I decided my crooked handwriting made it from ME and endearing. I felt the phrase by itself looked weird, so I added the abstract little teabag.



If you are Obsessed familiar with Pride and Prejudice, then you will recognize the phrase "a most beloved sister" was what Lizzie called her sister and best friend, Jane, when she rejected Mr. Darcy.

"I might as well inquire," replied she, "why with so evident a desire of offending and insulting me, you chose to tell me that you liked me against your will, against your reason, and even against your character? Was not this some excuse for incivility, if I was uncivil? But I have other provocations. You know I have. Had not my feelings decided against you— had they been indifferent, or had they even been favourable, do you think that any consideration would tempt me to accept the man who has been the means of ruining, perhaps for ever, the happiness of a most beloved sister?”

 My sister is indeed my beloved sister.

Some Tips for Decorating Ceramic Mugs:
  •  Clean mug with glass cleaner wipe first and keep one on hand to erase mistakes.
  • Draw your design on the mug in pencil first and trace over it.
  • Follow the directions on the pen precisely!
  • Use a ceramic or glass marker/pen. Some pins suggest using Sharpies, but permanent marker does not work as well on ceramic. I tried this before at a group craft thing and everyone's designs washed off, even after baking.
  • The colors on the Deco Art pen cap is not the actual shade-I was sad about this, as I chose two colors, but only ended up using one because the other was hideous. I have not tried another brand, so can't speak to those.
I added a little surprise reminder of who loves her much when she finishes her tea. :-)


Delightfully Creating,

 Linking To:

MONDAYS
Craftomaniac Monday with Craftomaniac
TUESDAYS
Tutorial Tuesdays with Hope Studios
Get Your Craft On with Today's Creative Blog  
The Scoop with
 Lolly Jane // Cedar Hill Ranch // Crafty Texas Girls // The Farmhouse Porch 
 The Inspiration Exchange with
 Clean and Scentsible // City Farmhouse // Ella Claire // Yellow Bliss Road 

WEDNESDAYS
Look What I made with Creations by Kara  
Show and Share with Southern Lovely  
What We Wore, Read, and Made with Rae Gun Ramblings

THURSDAYS
Crafty Soiree with Yesterday on Tuesday and Katie's Nesting Spot
The 36th Avenue Party Time with The 36th Avenue 

FRIDAYS
For the Kids Fridays with Sun Scholars 
Anything Goes Party with Bacon Time with Hungry Hungry Hypo
Weekend Wrap Up with Tatertots and Jello
 
SATURDAYS/SUNDAYS
Overflowing with Creativity with It's Overflowing 
 Think Pink Sunday with Flamingo Toes
That DIY Party with DIY Show Off
 Our Sunday Best with Momnivore's Dilemma and  A Pretty Life in the Suburbs

6 comments:

  1. Wow that looks great! My husband and I are both huge Pride and Prejudice fans. I actually made him a cup for Christmas. It was a quote from Mr. Darcy. Found you through Craft o Maniac's Monday link up.

    www.joseandcharityspemberley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this and I'm stealing it! My sister's birthday is coming up...and now I must find a non-insulting quote about mothers from the book for my mom, who also loves P&P (are there any? That may be a lost cause...) Visiting from the Creations by Kara linky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! Haha-yeah, it might be hard to find a non-insulting quote about mothers.

      Delete
  3. so cute! i love pride and predjudice!
    I would be honored if you share this at my link party, Ginger Jamboree!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails