Monday, May 27, 2013

Mini Emergency Kits From Fabric Covered Mint Tins {Delightfully Creative}


Here's a fun little gift idea I recently made for the girls I disciple. Obviously, it wasn't my idea-there are tons of awesome ideas out there for how to use mint tins. I first saw some fabric-covered tins on Green Bee and thought they were adorable, so I used that idea and added my own little touch. I really love coordinating fabrics. 


They are really simple to make. All you need is:
  • Mint tin-you can recycle an Altoid tin or buy blank ones in the same size. I bought mine from Tin Supply
  • Fabric Scraps
  • Embellishments
  • Fabric Glue
  • Felt (for the inside)


First, cut a piece of fabric a little larger than the top of the tin. Glue it on with fabric glue-use a very thin layer of glue or else you will have a mess and it will soak through the fabric. 


When the fabric is on, smooth it out, so there are no bubbles. Trim the fabric to the size of the tin. Repeat for the bottom of tin.



If you want to use two fabrics like I did, just start each fabric in the middle of the tin or wherever you want to split to be-I don't like it to be directly in the middle, so I made one pattern cover more area than the other. 

I recommend brushing a very little amount of fabric glue on the edges of the fabric to keep it from fraying. 

Let the glue dry before you add embellishments. I used ribbon to cover the line between the two fabric and to cover the sides. You can use thin strips of fabric, but ribbon is much easier!


I lined the inside with felt. For the bottom, you will want to cut a piece of felt to the exact size of the bottom-you can do this by tracing the outside of the bottom of the tin.

However, for the top, you will need to cut the felt slightly smaller-if you cut it to the exact size, it will keep the tin from staying closed...trust me, I learned this the hard way. :-)

I used felt with sticky stuff on one side, so that I could attach fabric to the sticky side and then glue the felt part down. Felt is good as a little pin cushion, which is why I used it.



When everything was dry, I filled it with little emergency goodies.

Shout wipes, a band-aid, chap stick, a little sewing kit, a tooth floss stick, a mini tube of super glue (I found these on sale at Staples for super cheap!), mini Emory board, mini mechanical pencil (found at The Dollar Tree!-5 for $1) some paper, rubber band, safety pins, Aleve, and a mini disposable tooth brush.


 I made one for myself too. :-)

Delightfully Creating,
Rae Gun Ramblings

 Linking To:

MONDAYS
Craftomaniac Monday with Craftomaniac
TUESDAYS
Tutorial Tuesdays with Hope Studios
Get Your Craft On with Today's Creative Blog  
The Scoop with Lolly Jane // Cedar Hill Ranch // Crafty Texas Girls // The Farmhouse Porch 
Brag About it with VMG206

WEDNESDAYS
Look What I made with Creations by Kara
  The Inspiration Exchange with Clean & Scentsible
 
Show and Share with Southern Lovely  
What We Wore, Read, and Made with Rae Gun Ramblings

THURSDAYS
Crafty Soiree with Yesterday on Tuesday and Katie's Nesting Spot  
The 36th Avenue Party Time with The 36th Avenue 

FRIDAYS
Anything Goes Party with Bacon Time with Hungry Hungry Hypo
Weekend Wrap Up with Tatertots and Jello
 
SATURDAYS/SUNDAYS
Overflowing with Creativity with It's Overflowing 
 Think Pink Sunday with Flamingo Toes  
Your Great Idea with Or So She Says  
That DIY Party with DIY Show Off

9 comments:

  1. Super cute project!Love the idea!
    Would love to have you visit me sometime.
    Have a fabulous week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute idea! I know a few ladies who would love this as a gift, thanks for sharing. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! What darling little kits!
    I'm visiting you today from The Scoop. I co-host a Linky Party Tuesday (open thru Sat) and I'd love for you to link up! I hope you get a chance to stop by, link up and leave a comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Join me each Tuesday for Brag About It Link Up Party

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun and thoughtful idea! Just shared this on Facebook! And pinning next. My dear friends are in CRU....the Berry's...do you know them?
    Thanks for sharing at Monday Funday!!
    Wishing you An Extraordinary Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi these tins look so pretty decorated! You did a great job.
    I saw it on Get your Craft On!
    Julie from julieslifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. brilliant and so attractive too. Hugs! Hopping over from BeBetsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are really cute! Thanks for sharing with us over at BeBetsy BRAG ABOUT IT Tuesday.

    Hope to see you again soon.

    The best to you,
    Sharon and Denise
    BeBetsy Link and Hop

    ReplyDelete
  8. these are so cute thanks so much for sharing it on my What We Wore Read and Made Link Party. I'm featuring you today.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails