Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild {Literary Delights}

School Library Journal's Top 100 Children's Novels # 78

Genre: Children's Fiction, Historical/Realistic (Ages 7 and Up)

The Recipe: Pauline, Petrova, and Posy are orphans of Interwar/Depression Era London whose wacky benefactor has been missing for years. Left with little money to live on, the girls join the Children's Academy of Dancing and Stage Training to help their family earn money. The three vow to make a name for themselves, but each has a dream of her own: one to be an actress, one to be a dancer, and one to leave the whole performing arts scene and become a pilot.

The Frosting and Sprinkles: Ballet Shoes is a story with charming characters and a charming premise.

Each girl has a distinct personality and must work and grow to follower her dreams, which sends a positive message to young girls.
The Hair That Fell Into the Batter: OK, I admit it-here is another much-loved classic book that I just didn't love. Again, I chalk this up to nostalgia that I lack because I never read this as a child.

The characters were charming enough to push through, but I found the plot tedious and boring-the girls practiced their art, scrounged up supplies to provide for their performances so they could earn money, money becomes scarce again over and over... I really have no problem with realistic fiction. In fact there are many that I love, but their plots are more arced.

It was OK, but I do not want to read it again and will not.

My Rating: 

 
2 Out of 5 Cupcakes!
(It was OK)


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails