Monday, April 8, 2013

The Saturdays and The Four-Story Mistake by Elizabeth Enright {Literary Delights}

 School Library Journal's Top 100 Children's Novels #75 and #80




 Genre: Children's Fiction
#1 and #2 of the Melendy Family Series

The Recipe: In The Saturdays, the four Melendy siblings decide to pool their allowance money each week and allow each sibling to take his or her turn doing whatever they want on their Saturday to have the money. The Saturdays tells of their lively adventures. The sequel, The Four-Story Mistake tells of the Melendy children's move from city to country where they discover a secret room in their house and plot ways to earn money to buy war bonds.

The Frosting and Sprinkles: This series was published originally in the 1940s, though this is my first introduction to the books. I found them to be nothing special, but they are pleasant stories about loving siblings

The Hair That Fell Into the Batter: These books are not my cup of tea. If you enjoy saccharine sweet stories, like The Boxcar Children, and believing that the 40s and 50s were simpler, more innocent times (I don't buy it :-)), then you might enjoy these books.

I don't think this series stands the test of time-they seem a bit outdated. Enright is excellent with words, but I found her plots uninteresting and her characters typical. There is very little character development. I have absolutely no interest in knowing what happens to the Melendy siblings, so I will not be reading the last two books of the series.

My Rating: 




 2 Out of 5 Cupcakes!
(They were OK)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails