Monday, April 15, 2013

The Enchanted Wood by Enid Blyton {Literary Delights}

Genre: Children's Fiction (ages 7 and up, appropriate to be read aloud to younger children), fantasy

The Recipe: Joe, Beth,and Fanny move from the city to the country with their parents. Upon exploring the surrounding woods, they discover the wood is enchanted and contains a Magic Faraway tree. The tree houses several interesting character and whisks the children to strange, far-off lands.

The Frosting and Sprinkles:  The Enchanted Wood offers amusing, unique, and memorable characters, which are by far the best part of the book. To this day, my family makes jokes about the Tin Pan Man when someone hears something completely wrong.

I have fond memories of this book from my childhood. Living a chunk of my childhood in the UK, Enid Blyton was a staple in our home. My sister received and read The Enchanted Wood series and in turn read it to me-precious sister bonding time!

Pun intended, this book enchants children. I remember longing to taste a pop biscuit and hoping to discover a magical world in the woods. I remember pretending to go down the slippery slip when I was on a slide (which was even better when we got on those big slides at the fair that required cushions, like the slippery slip! Did they have those in the US?) I'm also pretty sure my sister and I played "The Magic Faraway Tree" on our beds...or maybe that was just me.

The Hair That Fell Into the Batter: So, I am sad to say that as an adult, I did not really enjoy the book as much. It is repetitive and monotonous. With each new chapter, the children enter a new land, find themselves stuck in the land, and then accomplish some feat to get back home. It's the same plot over and over and over and over. And there's two more books that follow with the same plot over and over and over and over.

And, can I just mention how silly the politically correct changes are in the new editions? I fortunately have the old ones, but in the new ones "Fanny's" name was changed to "Franny." Apparently the publisher thinks "Fanny" is too ridiculous for today's children. Also, Dame Slap's name was changed to "Dame Snap" and she no longer administers corporal punishment on her students, but instead just yells at them.

My Rating:  


 2 Out of 5 Cupcakes!
(It was OK)



 


1 comment:

  1. They changed Dick's name in the later books too.

    It is monotonous but makes a great read aloud for pre-schoolers because it's so episodic. You don't need to track a plot. And they love it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails