Monday, April 1, 2013

Make a Fake Framed Chalkboard with Foam Board {Delightfully Creative}


Adorable chalkboard frames shower the Internet these days! I saw one in a fancy frame like the one I have about my fake mantle (aka bookshelf). I thought it would be perfect for my Spring decor, but I didn't want the chalkboard to be permanent. 

My frame does not have a back to it, as I like to leave it open part of the year, so I couldn't simply paint wood with chalkboard paint because the wood would be too heavy. I also couldn't use a think MDF board because I couldn't find any in the 16"x20" size of my frame...and living in a condo, I don't own saws. 

I was in the craft store and had an epiphany-why not try black foam board? Then I don't even have to paint it. It worked!

I bought a 20" x 30" black foam board for $3.99 and cut it to size with an exacto knife. Then, I simply "treated" it by rubbing it with chalk, using the side of the chalk and then gently blending it with a paper towel, to give it a used chalkboard look.

It looks like the real thing!


I know what you're wondering...But, I can I write on it? 

The answer is, yes! But, I would only use this for decorative purposes and not as a regular chalkboard because it does not erase easily. BUT, all you have to do is rub the writing off with a wet paper towel and then re-treat it. It only takes a few seconds.

With writing (Excuse the ugliness-I have terrible writing, which is why I choose to leave mine blank!)


After I wiped and re-treated.


A cheap, easy alternative to a real chalkboard.

Delightfully Creating,

 Bringing My Board to These Parties:

MONDAYS
Craftomaniac Monday with Craftomaniac
TUESDAYS
Tutorial Tuesdays with Hope Studios
Get Your Craft On with Today's Creative Blog The Scoop with Lolly Jane // Cedar Hill Ranch // Crafty Texas Girls // The Farmhouse Porch 

WEDNESDAYS
Look What I made with Creations by Kara
  The Creative Spark with Clean & Scentsible
Show and Share with Southern Lovely What We Wore, Read, and Made with Rae Gun Ramblings

THURSDAYS
Creative Juice Thursday with Momnivore's Dilemma

FRIDAYS
Anything Goes Party with Bacon Time with Hungry Hungry Hypo
Weekend Wrap Up with Tatertots and Jello

SATURDAYS/SUNDAYS
Overflowing with Creativity with It's Overflowing 
 Think Pink Sunday with Flamingo Toes
Your Great Idea with Or So She Says

9 comments:

  1. I love your frame! And this is my kind of DIY, simple and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool idea! I love the frame ~ cool color, too.
    I'm visiting you today from Southern Lovely. I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog and leave a comment and Link Up, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Medicine Cabinet Makeover

    ReplyDelete
  3. So neat! Love it! I featured this on my blog today, check it out here: http://www.unoriginalmom.com/original-fridays-2/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I think I fixed that button. Thanks for giving me the heads up!! :-)

      Delete
  4. What a great and affordable idea. If you don't mind me asking where did you get the frame? I am a sucker for decorative frames.
    With Love,
    Scary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it at Hobby Lobby-it was white. but I painted it green.

      Delete
  5. This is so creative! Love it! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  6. You.Are.A.Genius. Thanks! http://pinkgerberdaisies-kady.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! I've been wanting to come up with something like a chalkboard photo backdrop, so I'll definitely have to try this out. Foam boards are awesome! Thanks for sharing at Monday Funday!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails