Monday, April 8, 2013

Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis {Literary Delights}

Genre: Children's Fiction (10 and up, may be appropriate for younger advanced readers), Fantasy,
Historical Fiction

#1 in The Kat, Incorrigible Series

The Recipe: (From Goodreads) Katherine Ann Stephenson has just discovered that she's inherited her mother's magical talents, and despite Stepmama's stern objections, she's determined to learn how to use them.

But with her eldest sister Elissa's intended fiancé, the sinister Sir Neville, showing a dangerous interest in Kat's magical potential; her other sister, Angeline, wreaking romantic havoc with her own witchcraft; and a highwayman lurking in the forest, even Kat's reckless heroism will be tested to the upmost.

If she can learn to control her new powers, will Kat be able to rescue her family and win her sisters their true love?


The Frosting and Sprinkles: Regency England + Fantasy and Magic? YES PLEASE! How could I not love this novel?

Kat, Incorrigible is a charming, humorous read with perfect plot twists, a perfect smarmy villain, amusing romantics, and lovable characters. I couldn't put it down and I can't wait to read the other two-the final installment came out last week. 

I love Kat. She is a 12-year old heroine who uses her smarts and wit. She is obstinate against society's and her step mamma's expectations. She loves to be outdoors and go her own course. She is the perfect little Lizzie Bennett, if Lizzie was magical. Little girls can relate to her (My niece sure did at age 7). She is lovable and witty and I completely understood her plight, being a younger sibling myself.

I enjoyed the sibling relationships in this novel between Kat and her older sisters. They bicker and frustrate each other, but when push comes to shove, they always have each other's backs.

Burgis makes her use of magic fit well into historical fiction. It serves the plot and is never overused to conjure up an interest where plot is lacking, as some writers are prone to doing. She mixes fantasy and history well.

The Hair That Fell Into the Batter: NONE

My Rating:


5 Out of 5 Cupcakes! 
(Loved it!)

2 comments:

  1. Yay for Kat!! My review of Stolen Magic posted today. So weird that we didn't even plan that.

    (And what do you mean you understood her plight??? Because I know I'm nothing like Elissa. Does that make me Angeline???....Okay maybe I see your point.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha-no, you were never as bratty as her. I think all of us youngest siblings can relate to being told we're too young and need to get our act together. That's all I meant. We always feel like we have to prove ourselves.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails