Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and Ozma of Oz by L. Frank Baum {Literary Delights}

School Library Journal's Top 100 Children Novels #41 and #83



Genre: Classic Children's Fiction (Ages 7 and up)

I am reviewing these two books together as they are part of a series and I had similar reactions to both.

The Recipe: In The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Dorothy Gale and her dog Toto find themselves whisked away from Kansas to the strange land of Oz via tornado. You know the story, unless you've been living under a rock your whole life. :-) Ozma of Oz is the follow up to the well-known classic (and inspiration for the really creepy movie, Return to Oz). Blown overboard while sailing with her uncle, Dorothy finds herself in the fairy realm of Ev. She sets out with her friends to rescue the Queen of Ev and her ten children, who have been imprisoned by the cruel Nome King. But even Ozma, the wise Ruler of Oz, is no match for the clever king, and it's up to Dorothy to save everyone from terrible danger. But will the Nome King's enchantments be too much even for the plucky little girl from Kansas?

 The Frosting and Sprinkles: OK, Spoiler alert: I really don't like these books. I know, I know-they are classics. It makes me wonder what kind of sad literature choices were available for kids back in the day. It also makes me wonder how it made the top 100 list, but I am guessing the nostalgia factor played a huge role. It's hard for me to find frosting and sprinkles, but I will say, the story and world are good ideas (which is why the movie and spin offs like Wicked are so popular). However, they are not executed very well. Which brings me to ...

The Hair That Fell Into the Batter: These books are poorly written. I found them almost unreadable with run-on sentences and useless details, making much of the book monotonous. Ozma is particularly bad about this. L. Frank, I don't really care what Dorothy ate for lunch and in what order she ate it.

The characters are interesting, but flat and shallow-no real character development here. 

In short, I was bored out of my mind.

My Rating:

1 Out of 5 Cupcakes



1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails