Monday, March 25, 2013

Sock Alligator {Delightfully Creative}

Last Week, I posted about the magnetic fish game I made for my nephew, which featured sock fish. 

Welllll...., I got  a little ambitions with this gift. I had this grand idea in my head to make it an intricate game with point values for the size fish you caught and such. As if my free-spirited nephew would have gone for that.

Anyway, it seemed like a great idea to make a sock alligator-and if you caught the alligator, then he ate all your fish (meaning, you'd have to throw them back). Because I nearly failed Physics in High School, I failed to realize the alligator would be much harder to catch, despite how many strong magnets you place inside. 

Oh well-I still made the alligator, but not the rules!


Isn't he cute? I winged this one and figured it out as I went along, so I don't have tutorial photos.

I used two green striped socks-one for the body and one to cut up for the feet. I sewed the two sides of the heel together, like I did with the fish-except on the outside instead of the inside. This created his eye bumps. I am sure that has some scientific name, but as I said before, Science is not my forte.

Next, I stuffed the sock with Polyfil and strong magnets, leaving enough empty at the top to make a tail. I sewed the sock shut just below where the tail would start.

Next, I made a tail. As you know, alligator tales are long, pointy, and scaly. I attempted to create that look by twisting the tail piece and stitching in places where the tail twisted to secure the twist. To be honest, I wasn't sure how that was going to work, but it did.

  (Top view)

I then made each leg and stitched it on. I didn't feel like stuffing little legs, so I cut small pieces of the second sock and rolled them to make legs. It looked a little shabby, but I really liked it that way so I stuck with it.

Last, I made the teeth and eyes out of felt and glues them onto the sock alligator.


And yes, I did insert enough magnets that you can catch this alligator with the fishing pole. I doubt an alligator will go after worms, but meh, who cares?

Delightfully Creating By the Seat of My Pants,


Taking Mr. Alligator to the following parties (I promise he won't eat the guests)

MONDAYS
Craftomaniac Monday with Craftomaniac
TUESDAYS
Tutorial Tuesdays with Hope Studios
Get Your Craft On with Today's Creative Blog The Scoop with Lolly Jane // Cedar Hill Ranch // Crafty Texas Girls // The Farmhouse Porch 

WEDNESDAYS
Look What I made with Creations by Kara
  The Creative Spark with Clean & Scentsible
Show and Share with Southern Lovely What We Wore, Read, and Made with Rae Gun Ramblings

THURSDAYS
Creative Juice Thursday with Momnivore's Dilemma

FRIDAYS

For the Kids Fridays with Sun Scholars 
Anything Goes Party with Bacon Time with Hungry Hungry Hypo
Weekend Wrap Up with Tatertots and Jello

SATURDAYS/SUNDAYS
Overflowing with Creativity with It's Overflowing
 Think Pink Sunday with Flamingo Toes
Your Great Idea with Or So She Says

3 comments:

  1. This is SO cute! What a creative idea, love it!

    www.domesticblisssquared.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love alligators, they have a special place in my heart. :) Found you via Clean & Sentsible and would love for you to visit my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I love him! What a fun idea. Thanks for linking this up to Monday Funday!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails