Sunday, March 17, 2013

Magnetic Fish Game with Sock and Mitten Fish {Delightfully Creative}

For Christmas, I made my four-year old nephew a magnetic fishing game. Last year, I saw a Pin on Pinterest of fish made from socks-adorable!

But, the pin link no longer worked, so I did a little research and found similar sock fish on Petite Lemon blog. Hillary made it look so easy and adorable, I decided to make some  my fish the same way.

I found two packs of colorful socks on sale in different sizes-baby socks (about 3-6 months) and Toddler socks. Next to them, I saw a pack of really cute baby mittens and thought they would made adorable small fish. 

  (Mitten fish, baby sock fish, toddler sock fish)

These are super easy to make!

You'll Need:
  • Baby/Toddler Socks and/or Mittens
  • Poly Fill
  • Strong Magnets
  • Needle and Thread
  • Twine
  • Buttons
The mitten fish is already fish-looking, so all you have to do is stuff the mitten half-full with poly fill and one magnet and sew the mitten shut right below the cuff seam. Then, tie it tight with twine. 

For the sock fish, you must first turn the sock inside out and sew  a line across the heel.

This will cut off the heel to make a more oval body.

Then, like with the mitten, turn the sock right side and fill with poly fill to the heel. Put in strong magnet toward the toes and sew shut. Tie it off with twine to make the tail fan out.

I added the mouths and eyes after the fish were stuffed and sewed shut.


I made 12 fish and put them in this cute basket I found at Michael's. It reminded me of a vintage fish basket without the lid.

I made each rod by gluing a wood candle cup to a wood dowel-the candle cup makes a handle. I tied twine to the dowel for the line and added a metal key chain hook for a fishing hook. For the magnet, I glued a metal washer to the magnet so I could hook the magnet to the metal hook via the washer. I made little worms out of pipe cleaners.


Here it is in action.

I got super into making this game more complicated and added another sock creature-you'll have to stay tuned next week for that guy!

Delightful Creating!

Linking To:

MONDAYS
Craftomaniac Monday with Craftomaniac
TUESDAYS
Tutorial Tuesdays with Hope Studios
Get Your Craft On with Today's Creative Blog T
he Scoop with Lolly Jane // Cedar Hill Ranch // Crafty Texas Girls // The Farmhouse Porch 

WEDNESDAYS
Look What I made with Creations by Kara
  The Creative Spark with Clean & Scentsible
Show and Share with Southern Lovely  
What We Wore, Read, and Made with Rae Gun Ramblings

THURSDAYS
Creative Juice Thursday with Momnivore's Dilemma

FRIDAYS

For the Kids Fridays with Sun Scholars 
Anything Goes Party with Bacon Time with Hungry Hungry Hypo
Weekend Wrap Up with Tatertots and Jello

SATURDAYS/SUNDAYS
Overflowing with Creativity with It's Overflowing
 Think Pink Sunday with Flamingo Toes
Your Great Idea with Or So She Says

4 comments:

  1. Newest follower here! I found your blog through the blog hop, you have a wonderful blog :) You can find me at meandmr.com

    -Melanie @meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a great idea, i love the sock fish. We made some for my son using felt and metal washers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute. I might have to try this.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails