Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Shabby Chic Very Hungry Caterpillar Birthday Party {Festive Delights}

My little Cupcake turned 1 this weekend! I wanted to do a Very Hungry Caterpillar theme because we love reading the book by Eric Carle together. She loves playing with her Very Hungry Caterpillar toy and it was quite fitting because, man, can my baby girl eat!


I also wanted her party to be a little bit girly because I love girly, pretty things and she's too little to have an opinion right now! So, I decided to make it a Shabby Chic Girly Very Hungry Caterpillar Party.

Invitations

 I made them with dyed doilies and my computer.

Food Table

I got the idea for the background from this post at Project Nursery. It was super easy and inexpensive to do. We had the party at our church and the room had a whiteboard in it, which made it easier because I simply wrapped the board in wrapping paper and made the caterpillar with tissue paper fans.


I made the "Happy Birthday" banner with shabby chic scrapbook paper, paper doilies, ribbon, lace,  and letters I made on my computer in Cooper Black font.


Other Decorations

 I decorated mason jars with lace, ribbon, doilies, and baker's twine and used them for various decor.

Tissue Paper flowers that my friend Alisa and I made for our church's lunches (I swiped them for the party-haha. Hey, I made them anyway!)

Cupcake liner flowers-aren't these adorable?! I followed the tutorial at Raising Up Rubies except I used skewers instead of floral wire. 

Some of the jars held pictures of Cupcake.

Some held the plastic ware. Check our these adorable paper plates I found at Party City! They went perfectly with the theme and the subtle colors matched perfectly! Plus, they look brush stroked like the dots in the book!

 I made these food labels with scrapbook paper, a scalloped circle punch, and my computer. I scanned the food pictures from our copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which was perfect because they are very shabby chic looking anyway.

I had leftover dyed doilies, so I made stands for the food labels by simply covering pieces of Styrofoam with the doily.

I decorated the other table with a lace tablecloth and a fabric and lace scrap banner.

I took a photo of Cupcake each month, so I displayed the photos together on a banner with doilies. I got this idea from Design, Dining, and Diapers.


The Cake
I saw a cake I loved on Apartment Therapy and showed it to my professional baker friend, Larissa. She created this awesomeness:

 Needless to say, Cupcake loved her first cupcake!!

  My mom bought her that adorable VHC bib on Etsy from Honeydew Moon.
Food
If you're familiar with the story of The Very Hungry Caterpillar, you know the caterpillar eats a variety of food. I wanted each food item represented, so this is what we had:

Fruit Tray with Fruit Dip:
  (As The VHC eats through one apple, two pears, four strawberries, and five oranges)

You'll notice, I skipped the three plums. There's apparently a plum shortage in the world, so instead I got chocolate covered plums.

  On Saturday, he ate through one piece of chocolate cake, so we had chocolate cake pops and cake bites.


On Saturday, he ate through one ice cream cone...but my church doesn't have a freezer, so we forewent the ice cream. Instead I made fruit salad and served it in ice cream cones.

 
On Saturday, he ate through one pickle, one slice of swish cheese, one slice of salami...
So we, of course, had all with butterfly shaped crackers!

 
On Saturday, he ate through one sausage, so we had bacon wrapped mini sausages...yum!


On Saturday, he ate through one piece of cherry pie, so we had mini cherry pies.

 
On Saturday, he ate through one lollipop:

and one watermelon, which are out of season, so we had Sour Patch watermelon candies (next to the chocolate covered plums):


 The cupcake was, of course, represented by her cupcakes.

On Sunday, he ate through one nice green leaf, but what is the fun in that? So, we had chicken salad on lettuce leaves.

  
We also had deviled eggs on lettuce because the caterpillar was begat in an egg on a leaf and veggie pizza because it is yummy.

Other:
 For favors, we gave M&Ms in these cute treat bags I found at Michael's. I made the Thank You labels.


We asked guests to sign and write little messages to Cupcake on punched out scallop circles that we are going to glue into her Very Hungry Caterpillar book.

I didn't get any great pictures of Cupcakes outfit, but this is what she wore.

  
I had to show you because, how perfect is this outfit??! I saw it online at Target and could not find it at any Target in NC or Virginia-not kidding. And I saw it a few days after it was posted. This thing sold out like milk during a storm. My awesome sister found the LAST one in Knoxville and mailed it to Cupcake. It was just too perfect for a Very Hungry Caterpillar party!

I also made her these caterpillar antennas:

 Me and my sweet caterpillar!

I really enjoyed doing this party for Cupcake-I can't believe my baby girl is one!

Delightfully Celebrating,
APRIL

Linking To:

MONDAYS
Craftomaniac Monday with Craftomaniac
TUESDAYS
Tutorial Tuesdays with Hope Studios
Get Your Craft On with Today's Creative Blog

WEDNESDAYS
Look What I made with Creations by Kara
  The Creative Spark with Clean & Scentsible
Show and Share with Southern Lovely
What We Wore, Read, and Made with Rae Gun Ramblings

THURSDAYS
Creative Juice Thursday with Momnivore's Dilemma

FRIDAYS
For the Kids Fridays with Sun Scholars 
Anything Goes Party with Bacon Time with Hungry Hungry Hypo
Weekend Wrap Up with Tatertots and Jello

SATURDAYS/SUNDAYS
Overflowing with Creativity with It's Overflowing 
 Think Pink Sunday with Flamingo Toes
  
 

5 comments:

  1. Everything looks so cute! love it :)And she is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to your little girl! My son is 18 months and loves that book too. All your decor is adorable! Love the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable--love all the touches, and the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for share...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, great job on the décor and food ! My 2nd baby will be 1 soon. I would love to do this theme, it seems like a lot of work though (seeing all the prep you put in yours) !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails