Monday, February 25, 2013

Shabby Chic Very Hungry Caterpillar Invitations and Doily Dyeing Tutorial {Delightfully Creative}

It's official: I am now the Mommy of a toddler! Cupcake turned one on Sunday. This year went by so quickly!

We had a Very Hungry Caterpillar-themed party for her on Saturday. We love reading The VHC and she loves her VHC toy, so it was a no-brainer. But while she is still little and I can force girliness on her, I made it a shabby Chic Very Hungry Caterpillar party!

I'll be posting the party later this week-I had fun putting my own spin on a much-used theme. But, to whet your appetite-here are the shabby chic Very Hungry Caterpillar invitations I made.
(For protection, I smudged Cupcake's name and my contact info in Photoshop)


I saw similar invitations on Pinterest, done with construction paper, but since I made the party shabby chic, I used 4" doilies which I dyed green and red, and shabby chic scrapbook paper for the face.

I connected the doilies with small brads. When the invitation came out of the envelope, folded, it looked like this:


They swiveled on the brads to unfold.


I got the idea to dye the doilies from Charlotte's Fancy after I was unable to find green and red circle doilies. I like how the colors turned out better!

Here is how you can dye a plain white doily any color you want!

Materials:
  • white doilies
  • Food Coloring
  • Water
  • A Bowl
  • Paper Towels
  • Latex Gloves (unless you want colorful hands)
Step 1:
Fill the bowl with a little water-only enough to cover the doily. (If you put too much water, it will not work properly!) Put in several drops of food coloring-I followed the guidelines on the box for dyeing eggs.  Submerge doily in colored water for about 30 seconds.


Step 2:
Pull out doily and shake off excess water. Wear your gloves if you don't want colored hands!
Step 3:
Place doily on paper towels to dry-I recommend a triple layer of paper towels, as the water will seep through quite a bit.
Step 4:
Let them dry for about an hour and you will have pretty doilies!

 There will be more Very Hungry Caterpillar girliness later in the week, so come back!

Delightfully Creating,

APRIL

Linking To:

MONDAYS
Craftomaniac Monday with Craftomaniac
TUESDAYS
Tutorial Tuesdays with Hope Studios
Get Your Craft On with Today's Creative Blog

WEDNESDAYS
Look What I made with Creations by Kara
  The Creative Spark with Clean & Scentsible
Show and Share with Southern Lovely
What We Wore, Read, and Made with Rae Gun Ramblings

THURSDAYS
Creative Juice Thursday with Momnivore's Dilemma

FRIDAYS
For the Kids Fridays with Sun Scholars 
Anything Goes Party with Bacon Time with Hungry Hungry Hypo
Weekend Wrap Up with Tatertots and Jello

SATURDAYS/SUNDAYS
Overflowing with Creativity with It's Overflowing 
 Think Pink Sunday with Flamingo Toes




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails