Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green {Literary Delights}

Genre: Young Adult Realistic Fiction

The Recipe: (From Goodreads) Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.


The Frosting and Sprinkles: I really enjoyed reading A Fault In Our Stars first and foremost because John Green is hilarious. The witty banter and thoughts of the characters alone are worth reading. Green is an intelligent writer and his words flow consistently throughout the novel. 

Green does more than tell a great story-he asks a lot of questions about life, death, God and the universe and doesn't give answers-just more questions. As a question-asker in life, I appreciated the questions and I appreciate that they didn't have answers because then it would have been a cliche cancer book.

I love symbolism, so I appreciate all the symbolism Green uses.

I like the main characters, Augustus Waters and Hazel Grace. They are intelligent teens, much more mature for their age probably because they've faced challenges most of their peers never have to even think about.

The ending was perfect-some call it a twist, but I saw it coming pretty early on. What I liked about the ending is that it ends hopeful, life lessons are learned, and the wording is great. 

Grab some tissues, though, because it will make you cry.

The Hair That Fell Into the Batter: I have very few complaints about this book, but there are a few. I like Hazel and Augustus, but they have very few flaws and I love flawed characters because it makes them more human. Hazel and Augustus seemed to me the quintessential awesome-beautiful-smart teens whose only issue is was that they are dying. Granted, that is a big issue. But, their near perfection made it hard for me to relate to them.

My Rating:
 4 Out of 5 Cupcakes
(I really liked it)

Note To Parents: There is some cussing and sexual content (though not graphic) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails