Sunday, January 6, 2013

American Girl Doll Hogwarts Uniform {Delightfully Creative}

My niece, like her Auntie and Mom, is a huge Harry Potter fan. She also loves playing with her American Girl Doll. So, for Christmas I gave her one of my favorite gifts we gave this year-a Hogwarts (Gryffindor) uniform for her AG Doll, that I semi-made myself.

 (Modeling is my Samantha AG doll from when I was little :-))

My sister saw something similar on Etsy, but it was out of her price range (about $80) so she asked me if I knew where to get one cheaper. She gave me a challenge I couldn't refuse! I spent about $35 making this, but that is because I can't sew.

Here's how I did it:

The Uniform and Robe

Let me be clear-I tweaked this and did not actually sew the uniform and robe myself. I wish I did, but I unfortunately have been having a year-long fight with my sewing machine as a result of my lack of skill. 

I bought the uniform plain (skirt, sweater vest, shirt, shoes) from You Beautiful Doll on Etsy and the robe plain (no crest) from Sweet Pea Fashions on Etsy.

However, if you are skilled at the sewing machine and knitting, unlike me, you can find the patterns (in PDF) on the forever awesome site, Liberty Jane. (Must take a sewing class NOW!) The sweater vest pattern, skirt pattern, and Robe pattern cost $3.99 each.

My niece's favorite character is Ginny, so I tweaked the uniform to like that of a Gryffindor by adding gold and maroon ribbon to the collar and mid-section.


I made the tie out of gold felt (because I already had it on hand). I didn't make a full tie because I thought it would be hard for my niece to tie, so I made a tie front and tied it to elastic so she could slip it on and off the doll.

I drew a tie pattern myself and cut out two pieces of felt for the front and back. I glued maroon ribbon over the front to make the stripes and then glued the back piece and front piece together. 


To put the crest on the robe, I used iron-on transfer paper for dark colors. I found a jpeg of the Gryffindor crest online.


The Wand


To make the wand, I used a wooden dowel with a round head as the base (this gave it the shape of being wider on the bottom). The dowel looked like this and can be found at most craft stores:
It was about 2-2.5 inches long.

I wrapped the dowel in black duct tape, shaping it with my fingers as I went to give it the pointy shape. The duct tape gives it a rough and rigid look, which is how the Harry Potter wands look. I had some fishing line on hand, so I tied some at the end, measuring round the doll's hand, so it would fit tightly-this makes the wand stay in the doll's hand.



The Pygmy Puff


As I mentioned before, my niece's favorite character is Ginny and every Harry Potter fan knows that Ginny gets a pet purple pygmy puff named Arnold in the 6th book.

I designed my pygmy puff after the movie version of Arnold (but wanted him to be a little cuter):


To make Arnold, I simply glued a two-hold button to a purple pom pom. The eyes are tiny black beads glued onto the button and I drew his face with a fine-tip permanent marker.

My niece LOVED it. Here is the outfit on her doll, Felicity (which is appropriate because Ginny has red hair).


Delightfully Tweaking and Creating,
APRIL

Linking To:

MONDAYS
Craftomaniac Monday with Craftomaniac


Made By You Monday with Skip to My Lou


TUESDAYS

Tutorial Tuesdays with Hope Studios

Get Your Craft On with Today's Creative Blog
 The Creative Spark with Clean & Scentsible



WEDNESDAYS

Look What I made with Creations by Kara
Show and Share with Southern Lovely 



THURSDAYS

Creative Juice Thursday with Momnivore's Dilemma




FRIDAYS

For the Kids Fridays with Sun Scholars 
Anything Goes Party with Bacon Time with Hungry Hungry Hypo
Once Upon a Weekend with Family Ever After

SATURDAYS/SUNDAYS
Overflowing with Creativity with It's Overflowing
 Think Pink Sunday with Flamingo Toes

7 comments:

  1. LOVe the outfit bc I LOVE Harry Potter. Absolutely adorable. Thanks for sharing. www.thememorynest.blogspot.com Found you through craft O maniac monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing! (and I don't even like HP) nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute and clever. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I have got to do this for my college roommate.

    I host a link party each Thursday and would love for you to share this.

    Thanks for the great post!

    -Angie
    www.easylivingmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh Arnold is absolutely fantastic! I'm a HP fanatic. I hope you'll stop by and add this and any other posts you're proud of to my What We Wore and Made Wednesday Link party



    marissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Great post. I found you through the blog hop. Now following you.Please stop by and say hi when you get a chance.
    Be sure and check out my new Blog Hop that we just started, It's Weekly Goals Link Up. It's a great way to stay on track. Have a great day. :) Here's the link in case you want to check it out. Thanks again.http://lenettacarnes.blogspot.com/2013/01/weekly-goals-linkup-html

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails