Monday, November 19, 2012

The BFG by Roald Dahl {Delightfully Bookwormish}

School Library Journal's Top 100 Children's Novels #88

Genre: Juvenile Fiction (Ages 9 and Up

The Recipe: Orphan Sophie is snatched from her room and carried off to Giant Land by the Big Friendly Giant (BFG) where she learns of the BFG's plight to blow happy dreams into the rooms of little children while his grotesque fellow giants are munching and crunching the bones of other little children and bullying the BFG for not following suit. Sophie and the BFG plot a dash to London to plead with the Queen to help them save the little children of the world from being devoured by nasty giants.

The Frosting and Sprinkles: The BFG is my favorite Roald Dahl book and one I greatly enjoyed as a child after my third grade teacher read it aloud to my class.

I'm not sure who made the slang "redunkulous" popular amongst current college students, but I wonder if they know that word originated from The BFG. And his language is just that-rendunkulous, which adds to the silliness that ensues in this story.

The BFG contains the usual Roald Dahl ridiculous shenanigans, but this one is a little easier on adults (Dahl usually includes a lot of hatred for adults in his novels) with lovable adult characters like the Queen (but who would insult the Queen?)

The BFG himself is lovable and silly. He is brave and eccentric for a giant and stands up for what is right in the midst of adversity. Sophie is a lovable, sweet, and brave little girl.

Overall, The BFG is a fun, silly, and enjoyable read.

The Hair That Fell Into the Batter: I didn't care for the gas jokes-not a bathroom humor kind of girl.
  
My Rating: 
 3.5 Out of 5 Cupcakes!
(I liked it)

1 comment:

  1. I agree about the gas jokes...one of the reasons we haven't read it as a read aloud yet!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails