Sunday, November 11, 2012

Simple DIY Framing {Delightfully Creative}

I am progressively adding to Giggle Box's room (as we moved right after she was born, her room is not done yet). My current project is two separate gallery walls (she has LOTS of empty wall space, poor girl). I've been doing A LOT of painting and finally finished all of that this weekend. Yea!

Here's a sneak peak:


Soon we will have it all hung up and I will you show it to you in all its glory. I am LOVING the bright colors I chose for her room. It was my husband's idea to make the frames the four colors in the scheme because we have white walls that we are not painting because we rent (and it's a pain when you rent.) Great idea, hon!

I found these fabulous frames-both the cloud-like ones and the fancy schmancy ones at Hobby Lobby HALF-OFF! And guess what-all their empty frames are half-off again this week! I would never have paid full price, so I was thrilled-and they were white, so all I had to do was paint them. Also, they already have hardware on the back for hanging, so I didn't have to mess with that either.

I had never framed a picture myself in an empty frame and I knew I sure would not pay to have them professionally framed, but I figured I could rig something together. Then I discovered a wonderful product at Hobby Lobby (but I am sure these are available at other craft stores too!). Green Tree Gallery makes glazing and backing kits that sell for $1 to $5 depending on the size. The kits include plastic glazing (which I actually like better than glass-it doesn't break and causes less glare) and cardboard backing.

All you need to easily frame a photo is the following:


  • Masking Tape
  • Photo
  • Glazing and Backing (If you already have glass, recycled cardboard will also work)
  • Fabulous Empty Frame
If you're using the glazing kit, you will need to punch out the backing on the perforated edges and peel the plastic wrap off BOTH sides of the glazing. Handle glazing on the edges as to not smudge with fingerprints.

Place glazing in the frame, followed by the photo, followed by the backing. Seal the backing with masking tape so that the masking is half on the backing and half on the back of the frame. 

That's it. You're done. Framed photo in an awesome frame that you framed yourself.


 The magic is in the masking tape. It seals well, but is easily removable, so you can easily change out the photo or art.

I feel silly giving you a tutorial because it is so simple, but I didn't know these products existed before a few week ago (except masking tape of course), so I thought there's probably others out there who are as clueless as me. 

I am convinced one can find anything at Hobby Lobby. Except my sunglasses. Those darn things like to allude me several times a day.

Delightful Framing,

APRIL

Linking To:

MONDAYS
Craftomaniac Monday with Craftomaniac
Made By You Monday with Skip to My Lou
Make It Monday with Brassy Apple
TUESDAYS
Tutorial Tuesdays with Hope Studios
Get Your Craft On with Today's Creative Blog
 The Creative Spark with Clean & Scentsible

WEDNESDAYS
 Home Decor&Organizing Party with Organize and Decorate Everything
Look What I made with Creations by Kara
Uncommonly Yours with Uncommon  

Show and Share with Southern Lovely 

THURSDAYS
Creative Juice Thursday with Momnivore's Dilemma

FRIDAYS
Anything Goes Party with Bacon Time with Hungry Hungry Hypo
Once Upon a Weekend with Family Ever After

SATURDAYS/SUNDAYS
Overflowing with Creativity with It's Overflowing 
Saturday Seven with Positively Splendid
Sunday Showcase with Under the Table and Dreaming
 Think Pink Sunday with Flamingo Toes


2 comments:

  1. I love hobby lobby frames. I've looked for their unfinished fun shape ones, but I could only find ones that were already painted. Where did you find white ones??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in NC, so I'm not sure how different their products are in different states. But, I found them in the empty wall frame section-not the decorative frames section.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails