Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen {Delightfull Bookwormish}

School Library Journal's Top 100 Children Novels #92

Genre: Middle Grade Fiction (Ages 11 and Up)

The Recipe: (Description from Goodreads)
The first time Juli Baker saw Bryce Loski, she flipped. The first time Bryce saw Juli, he ran. That’s pretty much the pattern for these two neighbors until the eighth grade, when, just as Juli is realizing Bryce isn’t as wonderful as she thought, Bryce is starting to see that Juli is pretty amazing.

The Frosting and Sprinkles: Just to warn you, this will be a glowing review because I LOVED LOVED LOVED this book!

The story is told by Juli and Bryce, each chapter alternating their story, so many of the events are told twice from different points of view. This is a feat for a writer-to keep each character's voice separate and unique and keep the same events told twice interesting, but Van Draanen pulls it off flawlessly. 

I loved Juli and Bryce. There are the type of characters I wish existed in real life because they are awesome-very lovable and greatly flawed. Van Draanen knows people and she certainly knows Middle Schoolers. Juli is a great female heroine-strong, smart, marches to the beat of her own drum, confident and doesn't care what other people think about her. But, she is also very compassionate and passionate-to a fault. She's awkward, but doesn't seem to realize it. She lacks a general sense of what is socially acceptable in middle school and can be emotional. In other words, she is your quintessential nerdy, sweet, hilarious, middle school girl.

Bryce was my favorite, though, and goes through the most character development. He is hilariously sarcastic, but charming. He's adorable and smart, but insecure and a bit of a coward. He is a typical middle school boy, but grows tremendously in character by the end.

Flipped is a fun journey and I loved seeing how differently Juli and Bryce perceived the events in their lives. The plot is not full of exciting action, as it is a true-to-life story, but it never gets boring. The story is so well-written that I couldn't put it down and found it a joy-ride through the messes of Middle School.

The ending is perfect-not sappy sweet or cheesy. It is all perfectly wrapped up,but real.

Juli's family is awesome. They are a loving, close-knit family with moral values. I love Juli's relationship with her parents as it reminded me much of my own with my parents. Her brothers are reminiscent of Fred and George Weasley.

Bryce's family, on the other hand, is tumultuous, but realistic and pertinent to his character development. As he grows, he makes the sad realization that his father is not the type of person he wants to be. Bryce's family experience is very raw and real.

Bryce's grandfather is AWESOME. I love his wisdom and how he becomes a male role model to Bryce where Bryce's father is lacking and in a way for which Bryce is so desperately searching. Gosh, did I mention that Van Draanen KNOWS people? How she knows Middle School boys and their deep longings is beyond me, but she nailed it.

This book is chalk-full of positive themes.

This book was one of those that stuck with me, which is how I knew I loved it so much. I thought about it for days after I finished it.

And here's a little teaser for you, a journey through "Flipped,"-but you have to read it to experience the whole brilliant story and know how it ends!

About 2nd Grade:
Juli: "The first time I met Bryce Loski, I flipped. Honestly, one look at him and I became a lunatic.

Bryce: "All I ever wanted is for Juli Baker to leave me alone."

7th Grade:
Juli: "My Bryce. Still walking around with my first kiss."

Bryce: "It's been six years of strategic avoidance and social discomfort."

8th Grade:
Juli: "I felt a cold, hard knot tighten in my heart. I was through with Bryce Loski."

Bryce: "I'd spent so many years avoiding Juli Baker that I never really looked at her, but now I couldn't stop."

The Hair That Fell Into the Batter: Um, absolutely nothing.



My Rating:

5 Out of 5 Cupcakes!
(It was amazing!)
Bet You didn't see that coming. :-)

 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails