Friday, October 19, 2012

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery {Delightfully Bookwormish}

The School Library Journal's Top 100 Children's Novels #95

Genre: Children's Fiction (7 and up), Fantasy 

The Recipe: A pilot crashes his plane in the Sahara Desert and befriends a little boy from another planet, who has been traveling between planets to escape the overwhelming love of a flower. 

The Frosting and Sprinkles: The Little Prince is over 100 years old and is the most translated French novel to date. It's also a beloved classic, so for those reasons it is worth being a part of. 

I enjoyed most of the child-like whimsy. This novel can be thought-provoking in some ways, though it did not offer me anything new.The prose is beautiful.

The Hair That Fell Into the Batter:  I had to read this when I was in the third grade and I didn't remember anything about it except the very beginning where the narrator,as a child, drew a snake with an elephant in it's tummy. (I think of this illustration every time I eat too much :-)) So, it was not very memorable for me as a child. I can now see why.

I didn't find this novel as compelling as some people find it. It was simply uninteresting to me. I found the Little Prince not to be charming character, but rather annoying, whiny, and self-centered. He is supposed to be enlightened, but he is a little boy with no real life experience or problems, other than that he's in love with a flower who overwhelms him. It's just not believable...and a bit weird.

It's not a very well-written story either. It's more like a set of philosophical viewpoints/existential exploration with a story thrown in. The story exists for the philosophy instead of the philosophy being interwoven into a great story.

The ending is thoroughly depressing and pointless, especially for a children's novel.

But, probably the most annoying aspect of this book is that it is the most pretentious piece of literature I've ever read. And its fans are even more pretentious, which is why my review would not be appreciated by them. Anyone who does not love this book is automatically dismissed as "an adult" (which The Little Prince deems disdainful) who "just doesn't get it."

Ask anyone who knows me-I am a big kid at heart. I also got this novel. I just didn't love it. 


My Rating:  


 2 out of 5 Cupcakes!
(It was Ok. )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails