Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Diamond In the Window by Jane Langton {Delightfully Bookwormish}

The School Library Journal's Top 100 Children's Novels #97

Genre: Juvenile Fiction, Fantasy 

The Recipe: (From Goodreads) Eddy and Eleanor Hall have always known that their family was a bit out of the ordinary. After all, they live in one of the most remarkable houses in all of Concord. But they never guessed just how extraordinary their house really is, or what tremendous secrets about their family's past it holds. That is, until they discover the magical attic room with its beautiful stained-glass window, abandoned toys, and two perfectly made-up, empty beds that seem to be waitingperhaps for two children just like themselves....

The Frosting and Sprinkles: I had never heard of this book before it made it on the list.  Unfortunately, it is out of print, but my sister found it at her library and I read it while visiting her.

It was an enjoyable read, though not my favorite. The characters were likable, unique and memorable. The plot is the kind of story I love to read: one where magic is discovered in a secret world hidden within one's own house. 

I liked Eddy's and Eleanor's relationship and they shared with each other and for their aunt and uncle with whom they live. 

Despite flaws, the book was well-written and overall, I enjoyed it.

The Hair That Fell Into the Batter: Orphans...again...and redheaded ones at that. When will this cliche stop? :-)

I like a good fantasy story, but this one was a little too mystical for me with a dream world that is never really explained. Makes sense, though, as this is a book is essentially about Transendentalism.

Though well written, the book became monotonous to me with the same repeating plot line: Eddy and Eleanor go to sleep, find themselves in an awesome dream, have fun, then find themselves in peril over..and..over...and...over...and they live little snippets of life in between.

I found the ending a little too easily wrapped up and tied in a neat little sappy bow.



My Rating: 

 3 Out of 5 Cupcakes!
(I liked it)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails