Monday, August 27, 2012

What's On My Nightstand August 2012

Today I am participating in  "What's on Your Nightstand" with 5 Minutes for Books, which occurs on the 4th Tuesday of each month. So, if you love to read, please join in!

What's On Your Nightstand

I read less books this month. My baby is getting older and reading while nursing is becoming more difficult as it occasionally distracts her, so I have to stop. She likes to grab the book and paw at it and try to put it in her mouth. So, guess I'll have to start reading at night again! I hope this means she will love books.

What I Read This Month
(Reviews Coming Soon if not linked)

Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis


Preview: It's about magic and Regency England, how could I not love it?

The Four-Story Mistake by Elizabeth Enright

2nd in the series about the Melendy children and SLJ's top 100 Children's Novel # 80

Preview: I found it quite boring.



I received this book as an ARC from Goodreads. It is a mess. You can read my sad review (linked above).

What I'm Reading Now

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

This book came out earlier this year and is a book about a 16-year old girl with Stage IV cancer, so it will probably be depressing. BUT, I've heard it is excellent and so far I really like it. John Green has me laughing at loud...at a cancer book. I'm reading this for a book club and John Green is actually phoning in, so that is super exciting. 

Grace for the Good Girl by Emily P. Freeman
Yes, still reading...It's good. It just takes me a while to read spiritually reflective books.


What's Planned For Next Month
 This month's plan went all out of whack, so next month plan looks similar to this month's. :-)

When People Are Big and God Is Small by Ed Welch
Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild
Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
The Visconti House by Elsbeth Edgar
Are You There God? It's Me Margaret by Judy Blume

This Month's Reviews







To see what I'm reading with baby, go here.


Delightful Reading,



7 comments:

  1. I read Grace for the Good Girl earlier this year and loved it.

    I'm tempted by Diary of a Wimpy Kid ... since I was one as a child. :-) I haven't seen the movie but I've seen posters for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read The Fault in Our Stars! I was never able to read while nursing, even when they were babies, so I've always been jealous of those who were able to!

    -Nancy@5M4B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked My Side of the Mountain when I was a child simply because I fantasized about doing the same thing myself. :) I'm not sure I would like the book as an adult, though!

    Happy September reading!
    Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often find that, if I'm going to get anything worthwhile out of them, I have to take spiritual-development books slow. They're not just for entertainment or even information, they're for change, so they have to be allowed to work themselves into your life.

    I didn't read Grace for the Good Girl like that and sort of regret it. It was good in an objective sense, but it wasn't life changing for me--partly because God has already worked a transformation in my life in that area, and partly (I think) because I simply didn't take the time to let it make a difference in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe you found The Four Story Mistake boring. I think the Melendy Quartet are some of my kids' favorite books. The audio's are very well read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know lots of people love them. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

      Delete
  6. I really need to read something my Enright. I still haven't read Grace for the Good Girl, but I think I need to!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails