Monday, August 20, 2012

My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George {Delightfully Bookwormish}

School Library Journal's Top 100 Children's Novels #77

Title: My Side of the Mountain
Author: Jean Craighead George
Genre: Children's Fiction (Ages 8 and Up)

The Recipe: (Description from Goodreads) Terribly unhappy in his family's crowded New York City apartment, Sam Gribley runs away to the solitude and danger of the mountains, where he finds a side of himself he never knew.

The Frosting and Sprinkles: This is a classic and many people have fond childhood memories of reading this book. However, I had a hard time finding anything I liked about it...sorry...

The Hair That Fell Into the Batter: I just didn't like this book at all. It was BORING and unbelievable. The book basically describes the mundane daily activities of a kid surviving in  he woods. Nothing about that interests me. In fact, paint drying would interest me more because at least I would be looking at pretty colors.

The premise of this book is really hard to believe. Yes, belief must often be suspended while reading, but the author should still make it somewhat believable-especially if the novel is not fantasy. I find is impossible to believe that a kid who lived 17 years of his life in the metropolis of New York City can suddenly survive in the woods by himself with no training. SPOILER ALERT: I find it even harder to believe that his parents would then move their entire family out into the woods from New York City simply because they want to keep parenting him and that the other kids would be super excited about their lives being interrupted for one kid who is a snot and refuses to come home. 

I love cites, so I, of course, did not appreciate the anti-city sentiments. However, I find them even more annoying because other people help this boy survive the wilderness-he needed community to survive!

My Rating:
 1 Out of 5 Cupcakes!
(I didn't like it)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails