Monday, July 23, 2012

What's On My Nightstand July 2012

Today I am participating in  "What's on Your Nightstand" with 5 Minutes for Books, which occurs on the 4th Tuesday of each month. So, if you love to read, please join in!

What's On Your Nightstand

I started reading through the NEW list of 100 Best Children's Novel's. I'm also throwing in other off-the-list reads here and there. The list this month again is LONG.


What I Read This Month
(Reviews Coming SOON!)

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
Young Adult/Adult, Historical Fiction

Preview: This novel just came out last month and I read it upon my sister's insistence-and then because she bought it for me because she wanted me to read it that badly. It is FANTASTIC. If you like Historical Fiction, Suspense, and Emotion,this book is for you. And if you don't, read it anyway.


The Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Clearly
SLJ Top 100 Children's Novels #89

Preview: Adorable story, Clearly is an excellent story-teller.


The Strange Case of the Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger
SLJ Top 100 Children's Novels #87

Preview: Hilarious, cute, entertaining.


Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
SLJ Top 100 Children's Novels #86

Preview: I was pleasantly surprised to really like this classic. I was skeptical because I have not enjoyed many of the classics on this list.


The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and Ozma of Oz by L. Frank Baum
SLJ Top 100 Children Novels #41 and #83

Preview: This would be two examples of classics I can barely stomach.


The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder
SLJ Top 100 Children's Novels #84

Preview: I'm not a huge fan of the Little House books as an adult, but they are OK. This one is probably the most boring in my opinion. Of all the books, I'm surprised this is the one that made it on the list.


The Cricket In Times Square by George Selden
SLJ Top 100 Children's Novels #82

Preview: It was OK-not my favorite, but a cute story.


The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
SLJ Top 100 Children's Novels #95

Preview: Another classic I don't love-which is blasphemous to those who love this book, I know. And don't call me "an adult." I will expound more on this nonsense later. :-)


The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright
SLJ's Top 100 Children's Novels #75

Preview: It was an OK story. It doesn't really stand the test of time, though. It's old and you can tell.


What I'm Reading Now

Grace for the Good Girl by Emily P. Freeman
I'm still reading this. It's a book I have to contemplate, so it's taking awhile!


Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis

My niece loves this book and it sounds great, so I decided to read it. It's about a magical girl in the Regency period-need I say more?




What's Planned For Next Month


When People Are Big and God Is Small by Ed Welch
Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild
Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
The Visconti House by Elsbeth Edgar
Are You There God? It's Me Margaret by Judy Blume


My Reviews from the Past Month

The Borrowers by Mary Norton


Love That Dog by Sharon Creech 





You can find my reviews here on my blog and on GoodReads (Feel Free to friend me!)

Delightful Reading,

6 comments:

  1. You're the second person I've seen to rave about Code Name Verity. It's on my list!

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Code Name Verity sounds interesting!

    I'm SO glad to hear you say that about The Little Prince, I read it last year, for the first time, and really didn't get all the fuss. I love your idea of reading the 100 Best Children's Novels, I read many of those as a kid and would love to revisit them.

    -Nancy@5M4B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the Melendy books!! You might prefer the Penderwicks books which are more modern. I just started the first Oz book--the whole set is free for kindle and I've never read them. Long Winter is my favorite Little House book. What a great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't like The Long Winter either. To me, it was a Long Read. ;)

    I hope the next set of classics is better! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love The Little Prince but I needed the explanation to see something other than a hat in the picture when I read the book for the first time (and I was not an adult then).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like I'm going to have to read Code Name Verity :-)

    I loved The Long Winter as a child (and still like it well enough today), but I'm still rather surprised that, of all of Laura's books, it was chosen for a top 100 list. I think Little Town on the Prairie is much better written.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails