Almost every kid I know is fascinated with camping, whether they've been or not. It's the perfect theme for a party. There are so many fun things you can do with it! Here are some ideas.
- A DIY invitation made to look like a tent is a simple yet cute way to invite! Check out this adorable handmade one from From the Hive.
She made paper bag envelopes for them too!
- I am in love with these adorable sleeping bag invitations from A Little Loveliness! These, of course, will take a little extra time to make.
- Any element that brings a woodsy feel is great for a camping party, like this pine cone and fabric banner from Amanda's Parties To Go.
Another great idea for bringing the woods to your party is using moss and stones for centerpieces and decorations, like this set-up from Socially Circled
- Set up tents either indoors or in the yard-you can simply drape blankets over chairs or build a tent. Ana White has a great tutorial for building a tent. I love this set-up from From the Hive.
- A campfire is a must-have! Don't have a fire-pit or fireplace? No problem! Build a fake one!
- Wooden signs are good touch, and easy to-do. I love this wooden sign idea from From the Hive. Makes me chuckle!
- Camping lanterns make great decor-especially vintage ones, if you can find them cheap.
- A cute way to label snacks: crumpled paper bag labels from Celebrations At Home.
S'mores are the quintessential camping food, so I am devoting an entire section to them! Great S'More ideas:
- Roasting S'mores on a fire is a fun activity. If you're like me and have no fire pit, here is a great idea for roasting marshmallows in terracotta pots with charcoal from Apres Fete.
You can also bake them in the oven.
- S'Mores Pops! Everything is better on a stick. Here's a great recipe from Big Bears Wife
- S'Mores Pop Tarts
- S'Mores Mix-graham cracker Goldfish or Teddy Grahams (both fit camping theme!), chocolate Gold Fish or Teddy Grahams, and marshmallows.
- S'Mores Cupcakes! Try this decadent recipe from Cookies and Cups.
- Another camping must-trail mix! Serve it in a bowl or have a fun trail mix bar, like this one from Socially Circled. (Also great for a take-home favor!)
- "Bait" (Gummy worms)-looks cute served in silver pails.
- Ants on a log (celery sticks with peanut butter and raisins)
- Dirt Cups (Pudding, oreo crumbs and gummy worms)
- Serve lunch in brown bags or plastic containers, like Jenn from Clean and Scentsible.
(She also personalized each water canteen as a favor).
- Campfire stacks, like this healthy version from My Journey to Lean.
(stones=grapes, logs=pretzels; fire=carrots and cheese)
- Camp Site cake, like this adorable cake from Thrifty Decorating.
- Camp Fire Cake, like this one from Family Fun.
- Fishing Cupcakes, like these adorable ones from Nothing But Country.
- Story time by the fire-real or fake :-)
- Instead of a camp-out, have a "camp-in" with a camp-themed movie. (Note: I actually did this in college with about 50 college students-SO FUN, but we watched this horrible movie. It starred Alec Baldwin and Anthony Hopkins, so we thought it had potential. It's about rogue killer bears. Ridiculous.)
- Nature Scavenger Hunt. The Taylor House has a great list of ideas or you can set up your own with stuffed animals, like From the Hive.
- Make camping crafts-paint wooden birdhouses (you can find these for $1 at almost any craft store), make bird-feeders from plastic bottles, paint hiking sticks (fat wooden dowels), or make camp-themed door signs with Popsicle sticks.
- Musical Sleeping Bags!
- Set up a fishing game with a sheet, where kids must fish over the sheet for prizes. I love these no-sew fish from Cheeky Monkey Party. You can put prizes inside the socks!
- Trail Mix in cute bags! (or do the bar-see "food")
- Camping essentials (mini flash lights, binoculars, compass, glow stick, water canteen, etc.) You can package these cleverly, like this one from The Party Dress.
or make bindles, like these cute ones from Clean and Scentsible.
- Personalized Flashlights
- And Of course, S'Mores!
(from From the Beehive).
Happy Camping (Party)!