Monday, June 25, 2012

What's On My Nightstand June 2012 {Delightfully Bookwormish}

Today I am participating in  "What's on Your Nightstand" with 5 Minutes for Books, which occurs on the 4th Tuesday of each month. So, if you love to read, please join in!

What's On Your Nightstand

I think I broke a personal record for how many books I read this month. Granted, most are children's novels and some very short. Also, I have nothing else to do while my baby is nursing (don't worry I pay attention to her when she wants to coo at me and bond :-))

What I Read This Month
(Reviews Coming Soon If Not Linked)

The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis
I read this again because it just made it on the NEW list of Top 100 Children's novels from The School Library Journal. 
Preview: I love all the Chronicles of Narnia including this one, but I found a greater appreciation for this story upon this reading.


The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner
Preview: I liked this series as a child, but not as much as an adult.


The Diamond in the Window by Jane Langton
This book is currently out-of-print, but fortunately my sister's library has it, and she had it checked out, so I read it while visiting her. 

Preview: Not my favorite adventure story, but it was pretty good.


My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett
Preview: Cute, fast little story with talking animals. Great independent read for a new reader.


Journey to the River Sea by Eva Ibbotson
Preview: Despite some flaws, I liked it pretty well.


Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen
Preview: A book about middle school love. I LOVED it!


The BFG by Roald Dahl
Preview: Another childhood favorite and still remains my favorite Roald Dahl book (though I shamefully haven't read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory yet, but I will soon!)- despite all the passing gas humor which I can't bring myself to appreciate.


The Enchanted Wood by Enid Blythe
Preview: A book that was read to me as a child. I enjoyed it then-not so much these days.


What I'm Reading Now

Grace For the Good Girl: Letting Go of the Try Hard Life by Emily P. Freeman

Many of us believe that we are saved by grace--but for too many, that's the last time grace defines our life. Instead of clinging to grace, we strive for good and believe that the Christian life means hard work and a sweet disposition. As good girls, we focus on the things we can handle, our disciplined lives, and our unshakable good moods. When we fail to measure up to our own impossible standards, we hide behind our good girl masks, determined to keep our weakness a secret. 

I am a quintessential Good Girl, so I decided to read this. Plus, it has a birdcage on the cover, so how could I not? :-)


 The Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Clearly

Another childhood favorite! Tiny Ralph S. Mouse lives in a mouse hole in Room 215 of the Mountain View Inn. Life becomes downright thrilling when Keith and his family stop at the inn for a few days, and Keith lets Ralph ride his toy motorcycle.


 What's Planned For Next Month 
(If I stick to it)

The Strange Case of the Origami Yoda by Tom Angelberger
The Little Prince  by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder
My Reviews from the Past Month


You can find my reviews here on my blog and on GoodReads (Feel Free to friend me!)

To see what I'm reading with my baby, click here.

Delightful Reading,


16 comments:

  1. I love reading your book reviews! I'm convinced we would have hung out as children. :) I loved the Boxcar Children but picked it up one day recently and I agree, it's not that great now. I started reading "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" to Isabel last year but for some reason we didn't finish it. Did you like "Grace for the Good Girl?" I've been wanting to read it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela! I've only read one chapter, but I'll let you know!

      Delete
    2. P.S. We should hang out as adults again soon. :-)

      Delete
  2. I felt the same way when I finally read The Boxcar Chikdren aloud to my children. Blah. And I LOVE children's fiction! I've wanted to get my hands on an Enid Blyton story forever, so I hate to see that you felt similarly about the one you reread.

    I need to read Grace for the Good Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love revisiting childhood favorites, and C.S. Lewis is one of the best! Flipped sounds like a good one to try, too.

    Thanks for joining in!
    Trish @ 5MFB

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids and I loved the video of Mouse and Motorcycle but we never read the book. We should have!

    Grace for the Good Girl was excellent.

    I'm planning to read The Horse and His Boy next month.

    A good book on Depression is Spiritual Depression by D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on breaking your own personal reading record. :D That's always rather fun. I like all of the books on your list. Particularly The Horse and His Boy. Didn't know it made the top 100 list. (At least I know that something on the list is worth reading, right?!)

    Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lot of fun reads! I really enjoyed reading Peter Pan as an adult. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your list of children's books. We just finished listening to the all of the Narnia books and my daughter is reading a few of the books listed for her summer reading. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Strange Case of Origami Yoda!!!!! So much love for that one. I hope you like it. I laughed so hard my sides hurt.

    I'm happy to see The Horse and His Boy impressed you more this time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember those days of reading and nursing. How delightful! Enjoy them. I love all the Chronicles of Narnia books too. I read them all again a couple summers ago.

    I have Grace for the Good Girl on my list to read this summer. Excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny that you've never read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, that was one of my favorites as a kid, and I've never read The BFG! Origami Yoda is a wonderful book, you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I'm glad to know I am not the only one who reads a book just because an appealing object is on the cover.

    It looks like you read a lot of fun books this month.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in the middle (hopefully towards the end) of the Boxcar children series--and I have to agree that they're not that amazing. I definitely can see why they appealed to child me, but adult me spends plenty of time cringing. Thankfully, they're quick reads (and I'm breaking them up with a lot of other reading.)

    Reading about the childhood classics you're reading is making me recognize anew how much I missed. I jumped from The Little House Books to adult fiction around fourth grade (with some time in between for Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys, of course)--and never got around to reading so many of those books that it seems like everyone has read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great list! I love Narnia and My Father's Dragon is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun list! There lots of those I'd like to read, especially My Father's Dragon. Sadly, I've never heard of it until now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails