Monday, April 23, 2012

What's On My Nightstand: April 2012 {Delightfully Bookwormish}

Today I am participating in  "What's on Your Nightstand" with 5 Minutes for Books, which occurs on the 4th Tuesday of each month. So, if you love to read, please join in!

What's On Your Nightstand
!
What I Read This Month
(Reviews Coming Soon if one is not linked!)
Love That Dog by Sharon Creech
 # 75 on School Library Journal's Top 100 Children's Novels (which I am currently reading through).
(Preview: Didn't love that book, but apparently lots of kids do!)

The Borrowers by Mary Norton
#74 on School Library Journal's Top 100 Children's Novels
I remember reading this when I was little, but didn't remember much of the story.
(Preview: Meh)

My Side of the Mountain  by Jean Craighead George
# 73 on School Library Journal's Top 100 Children's Novels
I remember having to read this in elementary school and hating it. 
(Preview: I still hate it :-))

The Tears of My Soul by Himm Sokreaks
This is an autobiography about a survivor of the Cambodian killing fields in the 70s.
(Preview: Sobering, Liked it.)

I also re-read three of my favorite books, The Thief, The Queen of Attolia, and The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner. (Children's/Middle Grade Fiction)
LOVE LOVE LOVE these books and highly recommend them!!

 

What I'm Reading Now

The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope
A gift from my sister who loves this book.
In 1558, while exiled by Queen Mary Tudor to a remote castle known as Perilous Gard, young Kate Sutton becomes involved in a series of mysterious events that lead her to an underground world peopled by Fairy Folk—whose customs are even older than the Druids’ and include human sacrifice.


The Wounded Heart by Dan Allender
  This is a book that offers biblical hope to adult victims of childhood sexual abuse beyond the common "forgive and forget" mantra that many Christians (ignorantly, not always flippantly) spout. Though not a victim myself, I am reading this book because I know many people who are and would like to be more aware of their struggle.




What's In the Plans for Next Month:
My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett (Children's Fiction)
A Series of Unfortunate Events #1 (This will be a re-read for SLJ's Top 100)
The Gospel of Ruth: Loving God Enough to Break the Rules by Carolyn Custis James


My Reviews from the Past Two Months

The Dragon's Tooth by N.D. Wilson



You can find my reviews here on my blog and on GoodReads.

Delightful Reading!

9 comments:

  1. I love your concise but packed comments after each book.

    I read N. D. Wilson's mother's blog, Femina, and have seen his books mentioned but haven't explored them yet.

    You have an interesting variety here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo--I am definitely going to have to look up those books by Megan Whalen Turner. I enjoy juvenile/young adult fantasy and those look to be quite fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Megan Whalen Turner books look really good, I'll have to check those out! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun, eclectic collection! My daughter and I both enjoy YA fantasy so we'll have to check out some of your suggestions. Thanks for participating!

    elizabeth
    5 Minutes for Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails