Sunday, February 12, 2012

DIY Valentine's Day Art {Monday's Cup of Creativity}

I created some Valentine's Day art last year, but I didn't love it, so I created some new art this year. That's the beauty of DIY and inexpensive decorating! I am still developing my seasonal decor taste and I realized last year that I don't love too much cutesy in the holidays. I have an eclectic style, but I prefer a more vintage-esque/ rustic but refined spin on holiday norms. Not sure if that makes sense, but it's the best way I can describe my style.

I think I am sticking with these, though, for the next few years (we'll see next year).
(the close-ups below are better photos)

I, of course, am inspired by other bloggers. I loved this idea from Mary of Sweet Little Bluebird :


She used jewelry charms to make DIY art.  I love using materials beyond paper in art and this mixed my love of paper crafting and jewelry making! So, I decided to do this with one of the pieces and make it my own style:

So simple, but I love it! Thanks, Mary, for the inspiration!

In case you are wondering, here are the materials I used:
  • Card Stock-My Mind's Eye "Lost and Found" line-Union Square "Perfect" Damask Print (Hobby Lobby)
  • Jewelery Wire
  • Key Charm-Bead Landing (Michael's)
  • "Be Mine" Charm- Making Memories (Michael's-found in scrapbook section NOT jewelry section)
  • Heart Charm-The Jewelery Shoppe (Hobby Lobby)
Working that wire to make the charms lay correctly and wrap around the card stock was a challenge, but worth it. This one is probably my favorite. 

The other small piece was worked around the metal key embellishment that I had and really wanted to use. I wanted to use a Bible verse about love to remind myself what real love is, since Valentine's Day tends to over romanticize love.

Materials I Used:
  • Card Stock-My Mind's Eye "Lost and Found" line: Madison Avenue Sisters Lace Print (Hobby Lobby)
  • Key Embellishment-Making Memories (Michael's)
  • Bible verse sticker-The Paper Studio Religious Sticker Pack (Hobby Lobby)
 The larger piece is from last year-I liked this one, so I kept it.


I found this beautiful scrapbook paper last year and it reminded me of subway art with a romantic flare, so I layered it on other paper and framed it with ribbon tape.

Here is my art on my Valentine's Day Bookcase. I was going to make a tissue rosette ball this year, but I gave up. It was taking too long and I didn't like how my rosettes looked, so crafting fail for me. Maybe next year!


Delightfully Creating,
 Bringing My Stuff to These Parties:

SUNDAYS
Sunday Showcase with Under the Table and Dreaming
 Think Pink Sunday with Flamingo Toes

MONDAYS
Craftomaniac Monday with Craftomaniac
Made By You Monday with Skip to My Lou
So Very Creative with So Very Creative
Craft Catwalk with Embellishing Life
TUESDAYS
Get Your Craft On with Today's Creative Blog
Terrific Under Ten Tuesdays with At Home With K 

One Project at a Time with A Bowl Full of Lemons 


WEDNESDAYS
 Home Decor&Organizing Party with Organize and Decorate Everything
Show and Tell with Blue Cricket Design
Look What I made with Creations by Kara
Uncommonly Yours with Uncommon 

THURSDAYS
Creative Juice Thursday with Momnivore's Dilemma
Crafty Soiree with Yesterday on Tuesday and Katie's Nesting Spot
Get Your Brag On
with Gluesticks
Thrifty Thursday with Thrifty Decorating 

Crazy Cute Link Party with Between U & Me 

FRIDAYS
Friday Frolic with Pocket Full of Pink 
Anything Goes Party with Bacon Time with Hungry Hungry Hypo
Everybody's Creative Endeavor with Every Creative Endeavor 
Whatcha Got Weekend with Lolly Jane Boutique 

1 comment:

  1. I love the charms in the frames - what a fun idea! Thank you for linking up to my weekly party!!

    Amanda
    everycreativeendeavor.com

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails