Tuesday, January 24, 2012

What's On My Nightstand {Delightfully Bookwormish}

Today I am participating in my first edition of "What's on Your Nightstand" with 5 Minutes for Books, which occurs on the 4th Tuesday of each month. So, if you love to read, please join in!
What's On Your Nightstand

So, Here we go!

What I Read This Month
(Reviews coming soon!)  

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
I went out of order reading The Top 100 Children's Novels because I wanted to see the Hugo movie, but read the book first. I never made it to the movie.
(Preview: Loved It!)

The Dragon's Tooth by N.D. Wilson
My sister and her family gave this to me for Christmas and I couldn't wait to read it, so, again, went off my plan. Wilson's first trilogy, 100 Cupboards, is one of my absolute favorites and the new book did not disappoint!
(Preview: LOVED it!)


What I'm Reading Now
Depression: A Stubborn Darkness, Light For the Path by Edward T. Welch
This is taking me FOREVER to read. It's good, but non-fiction doesn't compel me to read as much. I have a few chapters left, so my goal is to finish this before I move on to any fiction! I'm reading this because I've struggled with depression-and probably will on and off my entire life (though I am in a period of peace now). I like it because it addresses the many aspects of depression-physical, chemical, spiritual, experiential, etc.


What's In the Plans for Next Month:
Love That Dog by Sharon Creech (Children's Fiction)
Tears of My Soul by Himm Sokreaksa (Autobiography)

The Borrowers by Mary Norton (Children's Fiction)
My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George (Children's Fiction)

This Month's Reviews:
Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes
The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau 


You can find my reviews here on my blog and on GoodReads.

Delightful Reading!

12 comments:

  1. I read Hugo awhile ago and loved it. I have not seen the movie but I plan to at some point. It was such a good book. I should tell my son to read it and then we can see the movie together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to read The Invention of Hugo Cabret - I hear such good things, but keep balking at actually getting a copy (probably because I have too many books to read already lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to read Ed Welch's book on depression. Are you planning to post a more indepth review when you have finished it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I will write a review when I am finished. I should finish it this week!

      Delete
  4. Hey April,
    Just dropping in from the nightstand; it's my first visit as well. Looks like you love the sound of an adventure on your nightstand!

    Have fun reading.
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hoping to get my son to read the Borrowers before the movie. I might be reading it aloud to him to get him interested!

    I wanted to see the Hugo movie, too, but never made it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. =D I LOVE the look of your site! (And I love your header.)

    I've heard nothing but awesome things (nothing but raves so far!) about the new N.D. Wilson book. I look forward to reading that myself in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! I don't get to read as much as I should these days, you're inspiring me to check some more out. 100 Cupboards was pretty amazing, I have no idea N.D. Wilson has a new book out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you ever read Spiritual Depression by Martin Lloyd Jones? It's one of my all-time favorites.

    I get into fiction much more easily, too.

    I read Johnny Tremains some years ago - very good book. I want to read My Side of the Mountain some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not, but I want to read that one too.

      Delete
  9. When I was a kid, I loved My Side of the Mountain. I wonder if I'd enjoy it as an adult!

    The City of Ember was a fun book. Much better than the movie.

    Happy February reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also loved Hugo Cabret, and the movie was really nicely done! I hope you can see it sometime. Selznick's Wonderstruck is also, well, wonderful. I'm putting 100 Cupboards and Dragon's Tooth on my TBR list -- thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails