Sunday, December 11, 2011

Vintage Spool Christmas Tree {Monday's Cup of Creativity}

A friend from church recently gave me a treasure drove-a bag full of vintage wooden spools that her Mom and Grandma never threw out! I decided to make a little Christmas tree with some of them and it's probably my favorite Christmas craft I've done this year.


It was free to me because I had all the materials on hand!

If you want to make one of your own, but have no vintage spools-no worries! You can create a similar look by buying wooden spools at a craft store (usually in the wood section) and distressing them with distress ink to get an aged look.

Here's How I Made It:

Materials:
  • 20 Wooden Spools (This makes tree that is about 7" tall)-I used a larger one for the trunk
  • Scrap ribbon and lace
  • hot glue gun
To make the tree, I first wrapped the pieces of ribbon and lace around each spool, hot gluing the ends. Then I made each row by hot gluing the ends of the spools together. Then, I assembled the whole tree, hot gluing one row on top of the other. When the rows dried, I then glued on the trunk and the top bow. I let it dry flat and stood it up only when dry, so it wouldn't collapse.

I'll show you all of my decor tomorrow or Wed. (I may not post tomorrow because it's my and Jeff's 2-year anniversary today!)-I didn't get around to doing some of the stuff I planned, but that's OK. The past couple of months have been so hectic for us and I am still trying to finish some Christmas gifts. Genius here decided to try to make her niece some matching PJS with her AG doll-never having taken a sewing class in my life. I conquered the doll ones-but the 7-year old ones terrify me a little!

Delightfully Creating,

Linking To:

FOR CHRISTMAS
Handmade Holiday with Just a Girl
A Crafty Creative Christmas with Me Making Do 
Holiday Link Party  with Momnivore's Dilemma
Holiday Link Party with That's What {Che} Said 
Christmas Craft Marathon  with Lisa's Craft Blog
Christmas Link Party With My World Made By Hand

SUNDAYS
Sunday Showcase with Under the Table and Dreaming   
Think Pink Sunday with Flamingo Toes

MONDAYS
Craftomaniac Monday with Craftomaniac
Made By You Monday with Skip to My Lou
So Very Creative with So Very Creative
Craft Catwalk with Embellishing Life

Motivate Me Monday with Keep It Simple

Creative Me Monday at the Southern Institute 
TUESDAYS
Handmade Tuesday with Ladybug Blessings
Tutorial Tuesdays with Hope Studios
Get Your Craft On with Today's Creative Blog
Terrific Under Ten Tuesdays with At Home With K 

One Project at a Time with A Bowl Full of Lemons 

Home Decor&Organizing Party with Organize and Decorate Everything 

WEDNESDAYS
Show and Tell with Blue Cricket Design
Look What I made with Creations by Kara

THURSDAYS
Creative Juice Thursday with Momnivore's Dilemma
Crafty Soiree with Yesterday on Tuesday and Katie's Nesting Spot
Get Your Brag On
with Gluesticks
Thrifty Thursday with Thrifty Decorating 

Crazy Cute Link Party with Between U & Me 

FRIDAYS
Friday Frolic with Pocket Full of Pink 

Anything Goes Party with Bacon Time with Hungry Hungry Hypo



16 comments:

  1. This is just darling! I love the antique look of it and your choices for wrapping the spools couldn't have been more spot-on! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. CUTE CUTE CUTE! I love this! Come link up with Creative Me Monday, if you haven't already. And enter the Mikarose giveaway while you're there!

    http://www.thesoutherninstitute.com/2011/12/its-creative-me-monday.html

    Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tree is cute- it fits my style perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a crafty person, but that looks super cute. I actually have a bunch of the wooden spools from when my grandma gave me her old sewing machine. I had no idea they were vintage :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. How pretty! I love the vintage feel it has to it.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fantastic, what a great way to display some of those antique spools! Happy Holidays!
    Shanna :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is sooo cute! I saw something similiar in an issue of PaperCrafts Magazine. Love it! Stopping by from Made By You Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is sooo cute - I would love to make one for my mother - she is a lover of all thing quilting and sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! This is such a fun idea for crafters who love to sew!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! What a great use of spools. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so adorable. I'm pinning this so I can make some next year. I'd love it if you shared this at my party, it starts tonight at 8pm.

    Anna
    www.askannamoseley.com

    http://www.askannamoseley.com/search/label/Weekend%20Warrior%20Link%20Party

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cute. I am featruing it at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my feautred button.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! Featuring this week at Bacon Time. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it, I never know what to do with empty spools and while plastic ones from current spools won't be as cute as the wooden ones it's still a fun way to reuse them!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails