Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Roadtrip to the West {Delightful Adventures}

One day, in the Summer of 2009, I found myself riding on a rickety homemade elevator inside a house made of trash, owned by a man who looked like he had his share of fun in the 70s.

For a moment, I wasn't sure whether to laugh at loud or run.

It was definitely one of the most random and funny moments of my life-all thanks to a road trip I took with my friend,Michelle, on our way to Colorado. We decided it would be fun to stop at random places. Michelle, being a planner, mapped out our trip, but I think I may be to be blame for the trash house-I don't remember.

Here is a glance at our adventure- and some treasures of America-in pictures and a few words.

Louisville, KY 

 Chandelier Light Post

 Giant Louisville Slugger (You will notice a trend. I like giant versions of things)
And we totally borrowed the mini bats from some passerbys.


Mount Vernon, IL

 Uniroyal tire girl

St. Louis, MO

We ate at a fun place called Venice Cafe. They had lots of funky decor.



 A wall of the cafe

Kansas City, MO


 This place was on "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" so we ate there.

Topeka, KS

This is Truckhenge-the setting of my opening story

As a protest to the local government, who told owner Ron Lessman that he'd have to "pick up" the junk trucks and bus he was saving in his yard, Ron literally picked them up and turned them into a..um.."art exhibit."

And her is Ron.

Truckhenge is actually a pretty cool place. Ron and his wife built their house entirely out of trash-or better called, recycled materials. Now they host concerts and fundraisers at their unique roadside exhibit.



And that's all for the road trip to the West-later I will post the adventures on the way back.

Delightfully Taking Photos with Weird Objects,

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't really noticed how many pictures we took with oversized objects. But I will say that Truckhenge is the most exciting thing I've ever experienced in Kansas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diners Drive Ins and Dives (DDD, The Triple D) are a United State American food television series show. The host of this show “Diners, Drive Ins and Dives” is Guy Fieri.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails