Monday, August 15, 2011

Vintage Kite Specimen Art {Monday's Cup of Creativity}

I apologize for being a little MIA this week. I had 3 days of all-day meetings and all who know me know that meetings absolutely exhaust me. This week, Friday posts and Delights of the Week will return!

Now, onto the art- this weekend, I made some late summer art. This was my first attempt at specimen art, so I, of course, picked something easy like kites (*sarcasm).


I wish I had a better photo, but the lighting wasn't working with me today. It cost me under $5 to do this project. Here's how I did it:

Materials
  •  scrapbook paper for background (I used "Enchanted Light Blue" by The Paper Studio, purchased at Hobby Lobby)
  • scrapbook paper for kites (I used a variety of paper from the Lost and Found Line by My Mind's Eye-it's all vintage looking, purchased at Hobby Lobby)
  • skinny ribbon
  • twine string
  • Kite rubber stamp (I used one by Studio G which I got for a $1 at Michael's!)
How To: 

First, I cut the background paper to fit my frame. To make the kites, I stamped kite shapes onto the back of my scrapbook papers. There are 20 kites total and I made the kites contrast with different papers, so I stamped out a total of 30 kites (the pieces of the ones I cut in sections were used twice).

Next, I cut out the kites. For the base, I cut out the entire kite shape of one pattern. I then cut another pattern into the four kite segments and glued two of the segments onto the kite base to alternate patterns. I did this to all 20 kites.

Then, I glued the kites and tails onto the background paper. I did the first row first and then I glued the "summer" on the bottom with string. This allowed me to place the other kites evenly.

I love the vintage paper and how the kite heads turned out. My verdict is still out on the tails. I wish I could have made the ribbon look cuter, but it was so tiny it was really difficult to do that!

Delightfully Creating,



Linking To

SUNDAYS
Craft Schooling Sundays  with Creative Jewish Mom
Sunday Showcase with Under the Table and Dreaming  Think Pink Sunday with Flamingo Toes

MONDAYS
Craftomaniac Monday with Craftomaniac
Made By You Monday with Skip to My Lou
You're So Very Creative with Me Making Do
Craft Catwalk with Embellishing Life
TUESDAYS
Handmade Tuesday with Ladybug Blessings
Tutorial Tuesdays with Hope Studios
Get Your Craft On with Today's Creative Blog
Terrific Under Ten Tuesdays with At Home With K 
 

WEDNESDAYS
Show and Tell with Blue Cricket Design
Look What I made with Creations by Kara

THURSDAYS
Creative Juice Thursday with Momnivore's Dilemma
Thrilling Thursday with Paisley Passions
Crafty Soiree with Yesterday on Tuesday and Katie's Nesting Spot
Get Your Brag On
with Gluesticks
Thrifty Thursday with Thrifty Decorating

FRIDAYS
Fantabulous Friday Link Up with Momma's Kinda Crafty
Who Made What with Naturally Me Creations

6 comments:

  1. Mmm...that is neat. Specimen art. I might have to give this a go sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I love anything miniature. This would be really cute in a nursery too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww this is precious!! I love it! thanks so much for linking up to Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings! www.ladybug-blessings.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great!! Thanks so much for linking to Thrifty Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, friend! You've got so much creativity and I'm admiring them all. Can you share your creative posts at my Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute example of specimen art! Thanks for linking it up. I featured it here:
    http://embellishinglifeeveryday.blogspot.com/2011/08/check-this-out_20.html

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails