Monday, August 29, 2011

Subway Map Crafts {Monday's Cup of Creativity}

I often have the privilege of visiting New York City because of my job. Almost every time, I end up leaving with a subway map. So, I decided to up-cycle it.

One of my projects, I totally stole from Julie at Less Than Perfect Life of Bliss so I am giving her credit! I thought her city map necklace was so cute-she has a tutorial on her blog, so click the link to see how she made hers. I thought it was a great gift for one of the college girls whom I disciple. Here is my version:

The sparkly thing is the Empire State Building.

My other project was inspired by magnets I saw in one of those rip-off souvenir places. They were charging $10 and I made essentially the same thing for about $3.

Unfortunately, I had a hard time getting a good photo, but there's a plastic coating over them. For my own magnets, I picked places on the map that meant something to me and Jeff.

For the plastic coating, I used clear plastic disc stickers from Spare Parts by the Paper Studio. I found them in the scrapbook section of Hobby Lobby. All I did was cut out the map circles with a circle punch and stick them onto the plastic discs. Then, I glued round magnets on the back. 

I love it because it is an inexpensive reminder of our times in NYC, and I was able to personalize it.

Delightfully Creating,



Linking To

SUNDAYS
Craft Schooling Sundays  with Creative Jewish Mom  Think Pink Sunday with Flamingo Toes

MONDAYS
Craftomaniac Monday with Craftomaniac
Made By You Monday with Skip to My Lou
You're So Very Creative with Me Making Do
Craft Catwalk with Embellishing Life

THURSDAYS
Creative Juice Thursday with Momnivore's Dilemma
Crafty Soiree with Yesterday on Tuesday and Katie's Nesting Spot
Get Your Brag On
with Gluesticks
Making It With Allie
with What Allie's Making Now
Thrifty Thursday with Thrifty Decorating

FRIDAYS
Fantabulous Friday Link Up with Momma's Kinda Crafty

3 comments:

  1. Very cute. Kids could make a charm necklace with maps of all the places we have visited.
    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ~ Meredith From A Mother Seeking
    http://www.amotherseeking.com

    A Mother Seeking...



    P.S. Found you through Craft Maniac Monday
    This week on A Mother Seeking: I Created A Birdhouse Dream House

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Great idea--I'm going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea!! I'm putting this on my FB page today! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails