Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Charleston, SC-Places to Eat (Delightful Adventures}

While visiting Charleston in December, my husband and I decided to try a variety of restaurants (Thank you, Jeff, for doing all the research!) We like to eat well when we travel. So, here are the places we ate and my opinion of them.

High Cotton
199 East Bay Street

Description by owner: Our menu is hearty and southern, featuring regional favorites, steaks, game and fresh seafood – all prepared with the famous Maverick artistry. We’re also known for our award-winning wine selection.

We ate there for: DINNER
Dress Code‎: Smart Casual
Dining Style‎: Casual Elegant
Reservations‎: Suggested

I ordered: Filet Mignon with Sugar Snap Peas










Of all the places we ate in Charleston, High Cotton was my favorite. Their steak is SO DELICIOUS. The atmosphere was beautifully lit and warm. I felt like a princess. But, maybe that's because they gave us free champagne and a sweet card because it was our Annivesary! 

Their service is excellent!





78 North Market Street

Description by Owner: Relax and enjoy your most excellent selection of dessert with a beverage. In addition to our vast array of specialty coffees, we also offer a full beer, wine and liquor selection.

We ate there for: DESSERT (of course!)

Dress Code‎: Casual
Dining Style‎: Casual
Reservations‎: None

I ordered: a hot chocolate and Jeff and I shared a chocolate chip cookie pie with ice cream. mmmm.

I had a bit of a chocolate overload, but that was my fault! The pie was SO GOOD. It seriously is the best dessert in Charleston. I love the atmosphere too-it's very coffee-shop like, but with more seating.

Hank's Seafood
Corner of Church and Hayne Street

Description by Owner: At Hank's, Chef Frank McMahon has fashioned a menu that re-creates that of a classic Charleston fish house serving a creative blend of traditional fried seafood platters and time-honored Low Country dishes. 

 Hank's, overlooking the historic market, is modeled after the great Charleston fish houses of the 1940s and is located in a turn-of-the-century warehouse now designated as a national historic landmark. 

We ate there for: DINNER
Dress Code‎: Smart Casual
Dining Style‎: Casual Elegant
Reservations‎: Suggested

I ordered: Rare Seared Tuna in sweet potato puree











This was the BEST tuna I've ever had-it was so delicious! If you're going for seafood, Hank's is definitely the place to go. It's very popular with the locals too. The service and atmosphere are superb.

Poogan's Porch
72 Queen Street

Owner's Description: Poogan's Porch is one of Charleston’s oldest and most reputable culinary establishments, serving upscale Lowcountry cuisine daily.

We ate there for: LUNCH
Dress Code‎: Casual (lunch) Smart Casual (Dinner)
Dining Style‎: Casual (lunch) Casual Elegant (Dinner)
Reservations‎: Suggested
I ordered: Turkey Sandwhich

Poogan's Porch is not only yummy, but it has a lot of charm. Created in an old, restored Victorian house, Poogan's Porch has a unique and lovely atmosphere. We got to sit next to the warm fire place! It's also named after a dog, in which the kid and dog-lover in me revels. It's a cute story-you can read it on their website. It's also a hot spot for celebrities. I didn't see any. Service is excellent.
59 1/2 Cannon Street 
Description: Started by two New Yorkers, Sugar offers a delectable array of cupcakes, cookies, breakfast and more!
We ate there for: DESSERT
Dress Code‎: Casual
Dining Style‎: Casual
Reservations‎: NONE-it's a standard bakery, no seating
I ordered: a vanilla cupcake with vanilla frosting

I love bakeries and this one did not disappoint! It was yummy and located in a fun old house in a fun neighborhood. Lots of character!

FIG 
232 Meeting Street
   
Owner's Description: We have a passion for pure flavor, quality ingredients, and for creating an atmosphere that is convivial, approachable, and a haven for people who simply love food.
They serve low-country fare using all local meats and produce. 

We ate there for: DINNER
Dress Code‎: Smart Casual
Dining Style‎: Casual Elegant
Reservations‎: Recommended
I ordered: I can't remember what they called it (the menu changes constantly) but basically it was steak and mushrooms on creamed potatoes.














I enjoyed my experience at FIG-the food was delicious and flavorful, the atmosphere was sophisticate but not pretentious, and they served me Diet Coke in little glass bottles. That's pretty awesome. 

Hominy Grill
207 Rutledge Avenue


Owner's Description: Nationally acclaimed and locally beloved, Hominy Grill is a Charleston institution serving classic southern specialties that taste just like Grandma used to make. We don’t open any cans here; all is prepared from scratch with fresh, locally raised ingredients.


We ate there for: LUNCH
Dress Code‎: Casual
Dining Style‎: Casual
Reservations‎: Available

I ordered: a vegetable platter with mashed sweet potatoes, mac and cheese, hash, and cornbread.











Hominy was pretty good-I was a little disappointed because I think I had high expectations. I didn't love the cornbread, which makes me sad in a home-cooking restaurant. Overall, it was good and has a low-key countryish atmosphere. It's small and slightly crowded.


You can try South Carolina boiled peanuts there for free. But, this is how I felt about them.



Delightfully Eating Up Charleston,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails