Thursday, March 3, 2011

Anthropologie Knock-Off Lace and Key Necklace {Faux Friday}

Every Other Friday is "Faux Friday" where I post knock offs I've made.

I love Anthropologie. I do not love Anthropologie's prices. I refuse to pay for their items, even when they're on sale (because they're usually still really expensive). So, when I saw this necklace on Anthropologie's website and wanted it, I decided to see if I could find the right materials to make my own. And I did!

Here is the Original from Anthropologie-$68


And here is mine-$5


I saved $63!! 
And I love that it's handmade. :-)

Here's How I Did It:
(All  materials were purchased at Hobby Lobby, except the key charm which was purchased at Michael's)


Materials: 
  • Necklace Chain
  • Clasp
  • Metal Frame Charm
  • ribbon
  • lace (I looked for the Belgian lace-looking type like the Anthro one)
  • Key Charm
  • Pliers
How To:
  1. Measure the length you want your chain and attach the clasp to the ends with pliers.
2. The lace did not come diamond shaped-I paired two ends together and cut it and then glued the two ends together to form the diamond shape.

3. Take the metal frame and, with the pliers, pull off the connector circle off the top. The allows you to turn the frame diagonally.

4. Tie the lace in the middle of the frame by threading a small piece of ribbon through the lace and tying the ribbon around one of the corners of the frame

5. Attach key charm to the bottom corner of frame. The charm I bought came with a small key-ring like connector and that worked perfectly.

6. Attach chain to frame by tying ribbon (double knotted) through the middle chain link. Trim ribbon to size.

Here's what it looks like on me:


Delightfully Challenging Anthropologie :-)



Participating in the following link parties-check 'em out!!

An Oldie But a Goodie with Do Small Things With Love

SUNDAYS

Craft Schooling Sundays  with Creative Jewish Mom
Sunday Showcase with Under the Table and Dreaming
MONDAYS

Craftomaniac Monday with Craftomaniac
Made By You Monday with Skip to My Lou
Your So Very Creative with Me Making Do
TUESDAYS

Handmade Tuesday with Ladybug Blessings
Tutorial Tuesdays with Hope Studios
Get Your Craft On with Today's Creative Blog
Time To Shine with A Diamond in the Stuff

WEDNESDAYS

Show and Tell with Blue Cricket Design
Look What I made with Creations by Kara

THURSDAYS

Creative Juice Thursday with Momnivore's Dilemma
Thrilling Thursday with Paisley Passions
Crafty Soiree with Yesterday on Tuesday and Katie's Nesting Spot
Get Your Brag On
with Gluesticks
Making It With Allie
with What Allie's Making Now

FRIDAYS

Fabulous Friday Finds with Frou Frou Decor
Look at Me with It's Fun to Craft
Fantabulous Friday Link Up with Momma's Kinda Crafty
Who Made What with Naturally Me Creations

15 comments:

  1. Love it! No one will know that you didn't pay the big bucks for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours turned out great! :)

    It's a lovely necklace, i like it!

    Tnx so much for linking this up at my party too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! I might just have to make one for myself as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I've just found another project I'll need to create. Your replica is amazing. Paying retail is for the uncrafty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done!

    Though, today I got a shower curtain there for $29. Originally over $150 (which is just plain stupid).

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so lovely. I see so much anthro knock off and love it so much!

    abranconier.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so pretty! I've never made jewelry, but your directions are really great! I may have to try it.

    craftingcookingandcats.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute! Most of the stuff at Anthro is based on real-life handmade items, so I'm always excited to see how people replicate them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great job! I love the little key and yours is a wonderful knock-off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous necklace. I like yours much better. I'm a new follower. I hope to see you at DIY Home Sweet Home. I throw a link party every Monday. It would be great if you could join me for the next one and link you up Projects.

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. fantastic knock off! I love the coffee in your blog header.

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. april-

    I love "borrowing" inspiration from anthro as well, but would never plunk down that kind of coin for accessories...

    thanks for linking up to creative juice thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. GREAT job! Way to save $65!!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks just like the original! Thanks for auditioning for American Crafter- good luck:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i would love to have this necklace--how wonderful!
    Thanks for bringing this to the oldie's party!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails