Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Memories/Things I love about the UK 1-5: Delightful Adventures

I sat down to write my top 10 favorite things about the United Kingdom and I couldn't stop! So, here are 35, but in six parts. The others will be coming soon.

In case you didn't know, I lived in the United Kingdom for four years, from ages 5 to 9. Yes, I was fairly young, but my memories are vivid. It it was one of my favorite places we lived (my dad was in the Air Force). The only thing (besides my husband :-)) that would keep me from moving back in a heart-beat is the fear that the childhood magic would be gone. It probably wouldn't be gone-I mean, I AM, after all, a six year old at heart!

April's 30 Favorite Memories/Things About the UK (1-5)
In No particular order

1. Fruit Pastilles!


Best candy ever. Now, they sell it at World Market! Praise Jesus! 

2. The Search for Nessie
And yes, I am talking about the Loch Ness Monster. 
My family visited the beautiful Loch Ness when I was five. In the beauty of child-like faith, I was convinced Nessie existed and that I would see her. So, I spent most of our boat ride on Loch Ness dangling over the side of the boat calling for Nessie. There are reports that I *may* have reprimanded the tour guide for calling her a "monster." Because, obviously, she was nice and friendly. It was y first taste of utter disappointment, but one of my favorite picture of me and my Daddy came out of it.


3- Thatched Roof Cottages
I can't write that without thinking of Trogdor the Burninator and singing, "THATCHED ROOF COTTAGES!" If you have no clue what I'm talking about-click the link...or skip it if you don't have a quirky sense of humor!


I love that these are still in tact and very much a part of British culture. I love that you can be driving around and see a random thatched roof cottage.

4- West End

London knows how to do musical theater! Unfortunately, I was "too little" to see many plays on West End, but I saw my first there- Cats. Fortunately, I was 9 and didn't realize how dumb 90% of that musical actually is and I fell in love with the theatre. I distinctly remember being deeply touched by the sad story of Grizabella, one of the cats. That was my first indication that I would grow up to be attracted to melancholic things, though I have a happy, easy-going personality. Psychologists: analyze. 


I'm the blurry little speck in a pink coat.

5 - Three Story McDonald's

Remember, I was a child. And how do parents please children while traveling abroad? Take them to McDonald's! My favorite was a three-story McDonald's in London. I had never seen such a sight in the USA! It was ALWAYS crowded. One time, my sister and I had to sit at a table with two random British girls (our parents were near-by) because there were no seats. 

                                                                       
Thanks for walking down memory lane with me. More to come!



2 comments:

  1. Aaahhhh!!!!! I absolutely can not wait for the other segments. That really is a cute pic of you and Daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Thanks for sharing your memories. It brought back many for me, too! I spent a semester there in college and have been back another time since then.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails