It's Faux Friday-where I share with you how I knocked off something because I am cheap :-) Haha Just kidding...sort of...really I have the "I can do that!" disease.
I saw these cute trees at Target-maybe you've seen them too!
So, it only costs $20...BUT as I told you, I have the "I can do that" disease. So, I made my own and saved $10!
And here it is:
Here's How I did it :
- Styrofoam cone
- wooden buttons
- 2-gauge wire
- a couple stick pins
- Wrap yarn around cone. I secured the end by wrapping around it and I secured the last end by gluing it to the bottom of the cone.
- Glue button to top (this will cover that part of the Styrofoam).
- Wrap twine around sparingly.
- Glue on wooden buttons.
- Make felt stars by tracing a star pattern or cookie cutter (that's what I used) on freezer paper (found in grocer store-this stuff is amazing for appliques!). Cut star from freezer paper then press on felt with iron for a few seconds. This will make the star shape stick temporarily to the felt. Cut around paper to make felt star shape and then peel off the freezer paper. Glue stars onto tree.
- I also used the cookie cutter to help me shape the star topper. Take 2-gauge wire and bend and shape around the cookie cutter to make the star shape-this may take a few tries of shaping. Twist the ends of the wire together to close the star. Wrap star with twine and tie ends together to secure twine. Shape star again around the cookie cutter-the twine helps stabilize it. Glue star on top and secure in the back with some straight pins through the twine.