Sunday, August 8, 2010

Monday's Cup of Creativity: DIY Accent Pillows for a Sewing Non-Expert

I am SO EXCITED about showing you the many projects on which I've been working!

One of the bigger projects is making new pillow covers for my already-existing accent pillows for the guest bedroom. The old ones do not match our new color scheme, so instead of buying new pillows, I decided to make new, removable covers for the old ones.

I don't own a sewing machine (*Christmas Wish*), so I had to hand-stitch them, so it took longer than usual! Also, I am not a sewing expert, so if I can do this, anyone can!

I am making four pillow covers-two smaller ones and two bigger ones (the bigger pillows came off our couch because we bought more fun, pretty pillows from Pier 1 a while back for our couch). Hopefully, next week I will have the bigger ones done and can show them, but for now I will unveil the small pillow covers: (sorry for the bad pics-my camera is crappy...also on my wish list :-)


How To Make The Basic Pillow Cover:

  1. Measure pillow you are covering and measure same on material, adding 3 inches to both the length and width for seam allowance (I allowed 11/2 inch seam allowance). Cut out two squares per pillow with theses measurements.

  2. Pin the fabric back-to back with the rough side (the inside of the cover) facing out.

  3. Sew along three of the edges of the pinned fabric, sewing the squares together. (I drew the line with a tailor's pencil because I had to hand stitch. This helped me keep the line straight).

  4. Turn the cover right side out through the open hole, so that the front of the cover is now on the outside. Put the pillow inside.

  5. I wanted my pillow covers to be removable, so instead of sewing up the fourth side, I bought self-stick Velcro and put a small square piece on each end and one on the middle to keep the pillow cover secure.
Ribbon and Button Embellishment How To:

  1. Measure out two pieces of ribbon around the pillow. Glue them down with fabric glue (but you can sew them too if you have a sewing machine and are a sewing expert).

  2. Glue cute button over the ribbon where it was glued down.
Ruffle Flower How To:

  1. Cut three strips of fabric in various sizes of width.  (Or four if you want to make a middle ruffle like I did on the large flower).

  2. Sew in and out down the middle of the strip like this: Leave some string at the end!


  3.  Pull the end of the strong, so the material folds up like an accordion. On the bigger flower, it will naturally round into a flower, so just sew the ends together. On the smaller flowers, you have to work the ends together to form a circle. I twisted mine once in the middle to help give it shape. Sew the ends together.

   4. Sew a button to the middle.

   5. Again, I attached the flowers with fabric glue, but you can sew them on-just remember to take the pillow out first!
Easy Peesy!

Delightfully Creating,



UndertheTableandDreaming
mmm button





Creations by Kara
Visit thecsiproject.com

6 comments:

  1. That is so cute April! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love your fabric! Where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from SITS. Love the pillow! That paisley fabric is beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love the colors of the fabric!!!!

    ~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks amazing, and I'm so envious of your hand-sewing skills. When I don't use a machine, things just tend to unravel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recycle project and inexpensive too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails