Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Delightfully BookWormish Review: "When I Don't Desire God" by John Piper


Here it is-my first review of a book that is written for adults!

Title: When I Don't Desire God: How to Fight for Joy
Author: John Piper
Genre: Christian Non-Fiction

The Recipe: The title of the book is pretty self-explanatory. Piper encourages followers of Christ to fight for true joy when we don't feel like it and gives us Biblical wisdom on how to do it. Before giving the "how tos" he gives the "why shoulds."

The Frosting and Sprinkles: I think every Christian should read this book! It is great for both young and mature believers. It is deeply convicting and motivating and hard to ignore.

Piper is an eloquent writer, but what I like most about his books is that he always writes based on scripture. He doesn't use rhetoric it merely use scripture to back up what he says. Instead, he studies scripture and writes accordingly. And it is completely based on the Gospel of grace.

The Piece of Hair that Fell into the Batter: NONE

My Rating:

Out of 5 Cupcakes!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation April! I've been looking for good books to take with me next year and I'm definitely adding this one to my list! Adam has listened to a lot of his sermons on fighting for joy, so I'm excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails