Monday, May 3, 2010

Delightfully Bookwormish: The Gideon Trilogy

Title: The Gideon Trilogy: The Time Travelers, The Time Thief, and The Time Quake

Author: Linda Buckley-Archer
Genre: Juvenile Fiction
Ages: 9-12


The Recipe:  The Gideon Trilogy is a saga about two 21st Century British pre-teens (Kate and Peter) who accidentally travel back to 18th Century England and befriend Gideon, a gentleman and former cut purse. In their attempts to return to their own time, they encounter a two cruel enemies who intend to use time travel to serve their own evil purposes. As a result, time is forever altered and the very existence of humanity is threatened-unless Peter, Kate and their friends can prevent a disastrous destruction of time and existence.

The Frosting and Sprinkles:  The Gideon Trilogy is a well-told story that keeps you coming back for more. I had a hard time putting the books down, especially the first two. Buckley-Archer is compared to J.K Rowling. I wouldn't go THAT far, but it is a good, entertaining story.

The character development is decent. I read this trilogy after reading the amazing 100 Cupboards Trilogy which has phenomenal character development, so try as I may, it was hard to not compare the two. But, Buckley-Archer does a decent job of describing Peter's coming of age and the believable metamorphosis of one the of the villains.

Buckley-Archer includes good lessons on friendship, character, and contentment. There is also some good redemptive themes.

The Piece of Hair that Fell Into the Batter:  This is probably a beef I have with ALL time travel books (save Many Waters  by Madeleine Lengle), but I was very disappointed with the ending. I read through these books with baited breath and then it fizzled in the end. If you find thinking through theories of time travel exciting, you may enjoy the ending. I hope I don't give away too much, but as with most time travel books, everything is reversed in the end and voila! time is fixed. I find this disappointing because all the character development you just read vanishes. And is everything really "fixed" if there are alternate existences? There is no real conclusion and I don't like that in books. The story kind of just fizzled out.
My Rating:
out of 5 Cupcakes!


Delightfully Reading,



6 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting...I'd have loved those as a child!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've found my post-project-one-week-in-Colorado reads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, are you basically saying the time paradox is actually swept under a rug? Because I can avoid these books if that is the case. I HATE when time travel plot lines take the cheap route and don't deal with the paradox and alternate realities. This is actually why Prisoner of Azkaban is my least favorite of the HP books.

    And have you started The Thief yet? ;)
    LOVE YOU BABY SISTER!
    Brandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, it deals very much with time paradox and alternate realities. That's why I don't really like it. It's like 3 possible endings and possible character developments. You would think with my personality, I would like that. But I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see why my comments could make you think differently now. What I meant was, one reality is fixed and some of the consequences of time travel, but that is it. No real conclusion to me. I did enjoy them though.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails